Russian police investigating Apple for using same-sex emojis to promote 'gay propaganda'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pwhitehead, Sep 28, 2015.

1. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/09...ple-for-using-same-sex-emojis-to-promote-gay/
    Really? What are your thoughts?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

While I am sure there are plenty of clear-thinking rational people left in Russia, they are definitely not in charge. The over-the-top (and very much over-compensating) push against gay "propaganda" (where propaganda apparently includes acknowledging that something simply exists) and enforcement of caricatured masculinity is the hallmark of a paranoid and insecure regime. Leaders that use their power to punch down on vulnerable minorities and the people they exploit to enforce their vision at street level all are destined for the dustbin of history. It's a shame us people who believe in equality still have to fight this battle after all these years.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

Blimey..... although I totally disagree with the law, its abhorrent, it is still a law there unfortunately, and its probably just in apples best interests to pay the tiny fine, and remove the emoji's so they can carry on selling.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Slowly?

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

My thoughts are that "Russian police" is sounds much bigger and scarier than "local police in Russia's Kirov region".

And that fine of "up to $15,260" is just ... brutal.

9. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Here they are. Of course, I had to pixelate the offending images. They were an abomination, created for the sole purpose of making children gay.

gay-emoji_3455634b.jpg

10. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Given all of the hoopla, you would think that these news articles would provide an illustration of these so called "same sex emojis". Well, here they are and they're sooo offensive. :rolleyes: I thought they depicted some sort of sexual act...

[​IMG]

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why are you against equality?

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have to ask, why do you hate the idea of other people being happy, is it that you have so little happiness in your own life, is that what makes you so bitter?

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's a dumb law, but apple should comply with the law if they want to sell there. Or if they really want to protest it they should stop selling in Russia.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Apple should just replace the offending emoji with pictures of Putin.

15. samiwas macrumors 65816

Relax guys. It's become pretty clear that this dude is just another in a line of people with little better to do than rile strangers up on the internet.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's their law, their land, pay the fine and mail the check in a Twink DVD case.

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah, I just wish those people are better at it.

Like my 'Darwin' comment in the other thread... problem-meme-smiley-emoticon.jpg

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

two-men-holding-hands.png

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

Aka 'having an opinion.'

21. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Right. According to the linked article, Apple made accommodations to China to remove the homosexual/LBTG/gay emojis or at least have a parental warning. Russia is simply asking for the same thing.

Funny how Tim Cook, who is gay and a big supporter of gay rights, caved quickly to China's demand to remove the gay emojis. I suppose he did not want to piss off regulators in a country with a very lucrative market for Apple.

Which begs the question, what would he do if a similar backlash occurred in the US, for example from parents who do not want to expose their kids to that alternative lifestyle?

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The US is a big enough market for them that if that was the law in the US Apple would go along unquestioningly. Russia on the other hand isn't a major market for them so they may just ignore it in this case.

23. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Yes, if it was the law in the US, Apple would have to comply. But I was referring to a popular backlash, without a specific law about it. I suppose Apple's reaction would depend on how loud people were complaining about it.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Probably, and who was complaining about it as well. Historically at least Apple has tended to draw from a more liberal demographic which is why they felt comfortable endorsing things like Same Sex marriage far earlier than the majority of the US population started to support it. However in this case it is against the law in Russia, and as far as I can tell from the article it is just a few government people complaining rather than a popular backlash.