Russian Vetoes are putting UN Security Council's legitimacy at risk, US says

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stylinexpat, Sep 23, 2015.

1. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

LOL.. This article cracked me up when I read it. I think the Russians have learned from the Americans on the Veto use. In case people forgot we all know how many times the US has used their veto power to veto UN resolutions against Israel over the last 50 years or so.. I thought it was quite hypocritical to complain about other parties using their VETO power when they themselves use it quite often to suit their own needs.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-security-council-legitimacy-at-risk-says-us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Totally agree it's the kettle calling saucepan black.

The USA is one of the biggest user of it's veto rights in the last few decades.

I just wish that the USA had paid attention to the UN back in 2003

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We (the US) are the worst when it comes to looking in the mirror.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Security Council is wholly dysfunctional. The US vetoes anything criticising Israel, and Russia and the PRC veto anything that might smack of international scrutiny or comment on human rights within member nations. Also, why is PRC represented permanently and not India? etc.

In any case, I wonder why the US does not invoke sanctions against countries on the basis of SC votes. It seems like the US only stomps it feet regarding these things, but it could apply a lot more pressure (albeit risking retaliation of course).

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Both the US and the Russian's abuse of their veto power is putting it's legitimacy at risk.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The permanent members of the security council have possessed veto power since the U.N. was created in 1945.

The U.N. lost whatever shred of legitimacy it still possessed when it elected Muammar Gaddafi's Libya as Chair of the U.N. Human Rights Commission.

7. stylinexpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Had the U.N. had any legitimacy in it to begin with I would assume that Saddam and Gaddafi would still be alive today and perhaps this whole mess in the middle east with civil wars going on there would not have taken place. One thing for sure is that this was not taking place before America attacked and invaded Iraq and before they attacked Libya. Between Iraq and Libya in chaos their borders allowed religious extremists to move freely across borders and engage in acts of terrorism.

Had they needed U.N approval and the U.N. not have approved these attacks then we would probably have been better off today. With behind the scenes arm twisting and blackmail for IMF aid along with other blackmail they were able to get some on board to support their agenda.

Russia has learned and adapted from America now on using their Veto power at the U.N. while China promises to have their backs like Russia has theirs. We of course know whom they got this from.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The UN did not protect the people who died in 9/11, hasn't protected the Syrians gassed by their government, didn't protect the Libyans hung by Gaddafi, didn't protect the Kurds gassed by Saddam, didn't prevent the invasions of Ukraine and Georgia, didn't sanction the PRC for the Tiananmen Square massacre, didn't protect the men and boys slaughtered in the Srebrenica atrocity, etc.

But what can we expect when corrupt governments are given veto power over the actions of the UN? The Security Council should be abolished or the veto powers eliminated in favour of a majority vote.

9. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Dear Leader Kim Jong-Un is still waiting for his turn as Chairman of the UN Human Rights Commission. What's the holdup?

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It also didn't sanction China for the Great Leap Forward, the cultural revolution, Stalin for his excesses (which I would guess continued after the war), Pol Pot, Pinochet, the Malaya Emergency, the Mai Mai massacre in Kenya, Indo-Pakistan over partition or for Indra Gandhis state of emergency or for Israels treatment of the Palestinians and I'm sure I've missed loads out.

11. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

The UN is about as effective as the defunct League of Nations.:rolleyes: The US, Russia and China will do what they want and the UN can't do anything about it.

I'm pretty sure a lot of you have see this picture before, but here it is for those who haven't.
    [​IMG]