Russians hacked US nuclear power plant systems: report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jul 9, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

This coming out just a day or so after the idiot in chief decided to team up with the hackers to make the cyber safer. :rolleyes: Trump is going to turn out to be this country's Chamberlin or, more likely our Quisling. The quicker he leaves office, or is removed, the better off the country will be.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...-hacked-us-nuclear-power-plant-systems-report

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Saw something about this on NBC the other night. They did say the reactor control and safety systems are not connected to the internet. Still, if they're looking at personnel files they may be trying to find someone to blackmail. It's one more concerning Russia story for Trump to ignore.

3. zin macrumors 6502

It's so odd that the Russia scam picks up steam just a day after we get good news about Russia-U.S. relations. Can't imagine why.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we were on the way out of Syria when Assad decided to once again cross the red line :rolleyes:; the level of stupid in America is too damn high and they can't see it:(

5. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

It's always been that way, fortunately.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You are so off the mark. There IS NO good news about U.S. Russia relations. Just because one dummy at the top thinks it's not a big deal (because he benefited) doesn't mean the rest of the lawmakers and country feel that way. We can not and will not have "good" relations with Russia as long as they keep screwing with western democracy elections, annex parts of other countries, try to break into electrical or nuclear power company computers and don't own up to what they already did.

Full stop.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

[​IMG]

Well, we know who they’ll be trying to phish.

8. samcraig macrumors P6

It's because it's all a complete sham, Zin. All smoke and mirrors. right? It couldn't possibly be true. I mean - you couldn't have both good news about Russia AND bad news about Russia. That would be a complete impossibility.

9. zin macrumors 6502

You mean like how the Russia stories evaporated when they shifted onto the Obama Administration taking no action? Now we get good news about U.S.-Russia relations and suddenly two stories (full of narrative, by the way, no proof yet again) show up in The Washington Post hours after the readout of the Putin-Trump meeting?

Wouldn't be the first time mass media has been used to manipulate public opinion.

10. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm sorry some news is spoiling your celebration. It happens.

Like this story
    Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/politics/trump-russia-kushner-manafort.html?smid=tw-share

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

So basically stop acting like America lol

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I don't know if we have done all of those things or not, but I suspect our intentions are better than Russians. But some people always want to play whataboutism, a classic Russian tactic.

Let me know when we annex a country. We haven't done that in a long long time. We didn't even keep the Panama Canal.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Are we supposed to just take their word for it? How about some ****ing proof?

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Freaking spot on

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Do you demand proof for all the lies and BS Trump says? Asking for a friend.

16. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Serious question: how many times a day do foreign actors try to hack United States computers? Once? A hundred times? Thousands?

17. LordVic macrumors 601

while possible, it's also possible that this is a true story as well, and that Putin isn't as honest and ethical towards the US as you believe the US is towards Russia.

Also:

Because US and Russia agree to a ceasefire in Syria, Doesn't mean that suddenly all other activities are being stopped. I have a feeling that true "Peace" between US and Russia is still a long LONG LONG LONG way away
    --- Post Merged, Jul 10, 2017 ---
    No, it wouldn't, But it's almost like you missed the Comey testimony, and even if you didn't believe that, it's almost like you've missed that there were MULTIPLE agencies who were investigating the ties of the organization to Russia.

things aren't binary black and white. There's a lot of nuance and a lot of different things going on at once. the investigation into russia's meddling didn't just vanish "poof" when Putin and Trump announced the cease fire

18. zin macrumors 6502

Actually, I watched the Comey testimonies. In the most recent one he said 'many, many stories' on Russia (as well as 'lots of stuff') were 'dead wrong'.

19. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What about the ones that are "dead right" though? Seemingly you have given little to no thought on those and what is yet to come.

20. zin macrumors 6502

And just how have you arrived at the conclusion that they are 'dead right'? Do you have some way of confirming the anonymous sources' accounts? The most damning report that Trump associates were in contact with Russian intelligence was specifically called out as false by Comey during the same testimony.

It's almost as if certain leakers are trying to push a different agenda by manipulating public opinion, and they will do it by leaking fabricated, incomplete, or otherwise misleading information. They will also manipulate public opinion by not leaking certain information (e.g. that Trump was never being investigated). A so-called 'Deep State'.

21. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Well, if stories aren't dead wrong then by definition they are right, correct?

22. LordVic macrumors 601

doesn't mean the investigation itself wasn't ongoing or that there were other things that were "Dead Right", hence the investigations themselves still on-going.

I also know that Trump himself wasn't directly implicated in the investigation, so I'm not ignoring that.

you can't just assume though because Trump worked out one deal with Russia, that everything that's been investigated is suddenly not true or happening. That's binary thinking and very VERY ignorant thought process.

Now don't get me wrong. Innocent until proven guilty, Even for Trump and his cabal. Investigatio does NOT mean a crime was actually proven to be committed and I'm not denying that.

23. samcraig macrumors P6

Many stories being wrong does mean some aren't true.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I think it's a common liberal misconception right there, it seems liberals think that not wanting to go to war with Russia and cooperating with them in some manners somehow make us best buddies or that Russia is no longer an "enemy", Russia lost the cold war , I imagine they are still looking for payback and while we are on things the U.S has no real "allies" we have to bribe other nations with BILLIONS in U.S "aid" so they can be our "allies" so NO, Russia NOR the rest of freeloading countries are NOT our "buddies".

25. samcraig macrumors P6

Billions of other people's money. Not ours.