Russians hacked US nuclear power plant systems: report

RootBeerMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2016
This coming out just a day or so after the idiot in chief decided to team up with the hackers to make the cyber safer. :rolleyes: Trump is going to turn out to be this country's Chamberlin or, more likely our Quisling. The quicker he leaves office, or is removed, the better off the country will be.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/341187-russians-hacked-us-nuclear-power-plant-systems-report

Russia has reportedly hacked into U.S. nuclear power plant systems as well as other energy companies, The Washington Post reported Saturday.

The government-backed cyber intrusion appears to be an attempt to size up the capabilities of the energy companies' networks, U.S. government officials told the newspaper.

The officials said the hackers appear to have accessed files related to the sites' business operations, like personnel. There were not signs that the hackers attempted to seize control of or disrupt the power systems.

The officials expressed concern about the hack, telling the Post that they may conduct additional and more severe cyberattacks on these sites in the future.

The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security warned the energy sector of the hacking threat late last month, Reuters reported at the time, although Russia was not then identified.

The Russian intrusions into these systems is the first known successful case of Russia hacking the nuclear-power-generation sites, multiple U.S. and industry officials told The Post.

The newspaper also reports that the National Security Agency detected the cyber activity by a government-backed Russian spy agency, the FSB. The NSA declined the Post’s requests for comment.

The report comes shortly after President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin on Saturday agreed to set up a bilateral cybersecurity working group.

Putin said the group would aim to "prevent interference in the domestic affairs of foreign states, primarily in Russia and the U.S."

The U.S. intelligence community concluded earlier this year that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election. Putin has repeatedly denied the allegations.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Saw something about this on NBC the other night. They did say the reactor control and safety systems are not connected to the internet. Still, if they're looking at personnel files they may be trying to find someone to blackmail. It's one more concerning Russia story for Trump to ignore.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
It's so odd that the Russia scam picks up steam just a day after we get good news about Russia-U.S. relations. Can't imagine why.
You are so off the mark. There IS NO good news about U.S. Russia relations. Just because one dummy at the top thinks it's not a big deal (because he benefited) doesn't mean the rest of the lawmakers and country feel that way. We can not and will not have "good" relations with Russia as long as they keep screwing with western democracy elections, annex parts of other countries, try to break into electrical or nuclear power company computers and don't own up to what they already did.

Full stop.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's so odd that the Russia scam picks up steam just a day after we get good news about Russia-U.S. relations. Can't imagine why.
It's because it's all a complete sham, Zin. All smoke and mirrors. right? It couldn't possibly be true. I mean - you couldn't have both good news about Russia AND bad news about Russia. That would be a complete impossibility.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
It's because it's all a complete sham, Zin. All smoke and mirrors. right? It couldn't possibly be true. I mean - you couldn't have both good news about Russia AND bad news about Russia. That would be a complete impossibility.
You mean like how the Russia stories evaporated when they shifted onto the Obama Administration taking no action? Now we get good news about U.S.-Russia relations and suddenly two stories (full of narrative, by the way, no proof yet again) show up in The Washington Post hours after the readout of the Putin-Trump meeting?

Wouldn't be the first time mass media has been used to manipulate public opinion.

Reactions: old mac

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You mean like how the Russia stories evaporated when they shifted onto the Obama Administration taking no action? Now we get good news about U.S.-Russia relations and suddenly two stories (full of narrative, by the way, no proof yet again) show up in The Washington Post hours after the readout of the Putin-Trump meeting?

Wouldn't be the first time mass media has been used to manipulate public opinion.
I'm sorry some news is spoiling your celebration. It happens.

Like this story
Trump’s Son Met With Russian Lawyer After Being Promised Damaging Information on Clinton
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/09/us/politics/trump-russia-kushner-manafort.html?smid=tw-share

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
So basically stop acting like America lol
I don't know if we have done all of those things or not, but I suspect our intentions are better than Russians. But some people always want to play whataboutism, a classic Russian tactic.

Let me know when we annex a country. We haven't done that in a long long time. We didn't even keep the Panama Canal.

TonyC28

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Serious question: how many times a day do foreign actors try to hack United States computers? Once? A hundred times? Thousands?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
we were on the way out of Syria when Assad decided to once again cross the red line :rolleyes:; the level of stupid in America is too damn high and they can't see it:(
while possible, it's also possible that this is a true story as well, and that Putin isn't as honest and ethical towards the US as you believe the US is towards Russia.

Also:

Because US and Russia agree to a ceasefire in Syria, Doesn't mean that suddenly all other activities are being stopped. I have a feeling that true "Peace" between US and Russia is still a long LONG LONG LONG way away
[doublepost=1499694396][/doublepost]
No, it wouldn't, But it's almost like you missed the Comey testimony, and even if you didn't believe that, it's almost like you've missed that there were MULTIPLE agencies who were investigating the ties of the organization to Russia.

things aren't binary black and white. There's a lot of nuance and a lot of different things going on at once. the investigation into russia's meddling didn't just vanish "poof" when Putin and Trump announced the cease fire

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
while possible, it's also possible that this is a true story as well, and that Putin isn't as honest and ethical towards the US as you believe the US is towards Russia.

Also:

Because US and Russia agree to a ceasefire in Syria, Doesn't mean that suddenly all other activities are being stopped. I have a feeling that true "Peace" between US and Russia is still a long LONG LONG LONG way away

No, it wouldn't, But it's almost like you missed the Comey testimony, and even if you didn't believe that, it's almost like you've missed that there were MULTIPLE agencies who were investigating the ties of the organization to Russia.
Actually, I watched the Comey testimonies. In the most recent one he said 'many, many stories' on Russia (as well as 'lots of stuff') were 'dead wrong'.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Actually, I watched the Comey testimonies. In the most recent one he said 'many, many stories' on Russia (as well as 'lots of stuff') were 'dead wrong'.
What about the ones that are "dead right" though? Seemingly you have given little to no thought on those and what is yet to come.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
What about the ones that are "dead right" though? Seemingly you have given little to no thought on those and what is yet to come.
And just how have you arrived at the conclusion that they are 'dead right'? Do you have some way of confirming the anonymous sources' accounts? The most damning report that Trump associates were in contact with Russian intelligence was specifically called out as false by Comey during the same testimony.

It's almost as if certain leakers are trying to push a different agenda by manipulating public opinion, and they will do it by leaking fabricated, incomplete, or otherwise misleading information. They will also manipulate public opinion by not leaking certain information (e.g. that Trump was never being investigated). A so-called 'Deep State'.

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
doesn't mean the investigation itself wasn't ongoing or that there were other things that were "Dead Right", hence the investigations themselves still on-going.

I also know that Trump himself wasn't directly implicated in the investigation, so I'm not ignoring that.

you can't just assume though because Trump worked out one deal with Russia, that everything that's been investigated is suddenly not true or happening. That's binary thinking and very VERY ignorant thought process.

Now don't get me wrong. Innocent until proven guilty, Even for Trump and his cabal. Investigatio does NOT mean a crime was actually proven to be committed and I'm not denying that.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

Also:

things aren't binary black and white. There's a lot of nuance and a lot of different things going on at once. the investigation into russia's meddling didn't just vanish "poof" when Putin and Trump announced the cease fire
I think it's a common liberal misconception right there, it seems liberals think that not wanting to go to war with Russia and cooperating with them in some manners somehow make us best buddies or that Russia is no longer an "enemy", Russia lost the cold war , I imagine they are still looking for payback and while we are on things the U.S has no real "allies" we have to bribe other nations with BILLIONS in U.S "aid" so they can be our "allies" so NO, Russia NOR the rest of freeloading countries are NOT our "buddies".

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think it's a common liberal misconception right there, it seems liberals think that not wanting to go to war with Russia and cooperating with them in some manners somehow make us best buddies or that Russia is no longer an "enemy", Russia lost the cold war , I imagine they are still looking for payback and while we are on things the U.S has no real "allies" we have to bribe other nations with BILLIONS in U.S "aid" so they can be our "allies" so NO, Russia NOR the rest of freeloading countries are NOT our "buddies".
Billions of other people's money. Not ours.