Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irix6530

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2022
Hello,
I have a Mac Pro 5,1 with Mojave (and OC for non-EFI GPU switch) for my home studio. It is mostly retro, SCSI samplers, old MIDI synths etc. Before that, I was using my G5 Quad but it had serious cooling problems so I have switched to 5,1. My interface has drivers ranging from PPC Leopard to Mojave so it wasn't a problem. The problem is most of my older sampler stuff (Librarians, VSTs etc) are PPC only and I still have a hard time finding alternate ways. Found a Mac Pro recovery DVD with SL 10.6.4 on archive.org, installed it on a spare drive, updated it to 10.6.8 minus the security updates that kill Rosetta. Everything seemed fine, then I checked the GPU. It was at least using RX470 as a generic one. But it is s-l-o-w! I was planning browsing by using Firefox Nightly or Arctic, but those utilize GPU so it gives me a blank screen instead of web render. PPC software seem to work well (surprisingly) though. What do you recommend? I don't think there is, but is there any legacy patched drivers for SL use? Copying kexts from Mojave with KextBeast was a stupid idea but at least I tried and... Still generic GPU with 7Mbs of Vram. The last option is to get a stock 5.1 GPU, but I don't have a spare PCIe slot as but I am not sure SL will get along with the native card not being in the GPU slot. Any ideas?
Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.