Ryan tests boundaries of "pathetic"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Soup Kitchen Photo Op

Fighting bitterly with each other is one thing, stepping on people's toes is just out of line.

The head of a northeast Ohio charity says that the Romney campaign last week “ramrodded their way” into the group’s Youngstown soup kitchen so that GOP vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan could get his picture taken washing dishes in the dining hall.

Brian J. Antal, president of the Mahoning County St. Vincent De Paul Society, said that he was not contacted by the Romney campaign ahead of the Saturday morning visit by Ryan, who stopped by the soup kitchen after a town hall at Youngstown State University.

“We’re a faith-based organization; we are apolitical because the majority of our funding is from private donations,” Antal said in a phone interview Monday afternoon. “It’s strictly in our bylaws not to do it.”

He added: “The photo-op they did wasn’t even accurate. He did nothing. He just came in here to get his picture taken at the dining hall.”

Ryan had stopped by the soup kitchen for about 15 minutes on his way to the airport after his Saturday morning town hall in Youngstown. By the time he arrived, the food had already been served, the patrons had left, and the hall had been cleaned. Photographers snapped photos and TV cameras shot footage of Ryan and his family washing pots and pans that did not appear to be dirty.

Chris Maloney, Ohio communications director for the Romney campaign, said that the visit by Ryan had been intended to highlight the work of the soup kitchen volunteers.

Antal, a self-described independent voter, said that he “can’t fault my volunteers” for letting the campaign in but said that the campaign “didn’t go through the proper channels.”

He noted that the soup kitchen relies on funding from private individuals who might reconsider their support if it appears that the charity is favoring one political candidate over another.

He added that the incident had caused him “all kinds of grief” and that regardless of whether Ryan had intended to serve food to patrons or wash dishes, he would not have allowed the visit to take place.

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, you're right about pathetic. In fact, the story is so off-the-wall that when I clicked on the link I expected it to be from some leftist blog, but...

...The Washington Post?

And the mind boggles at a soup kitchen worker "expressing gratitude" for Ryan's visit. More likely to tear him a new one, I'd think.

Washing clean dishes. LOL. :p

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

4. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

No way. Good way to ruin my morning. Ugh, what a shameless egotistical bastard.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's apparent to me that Soup Kitchens now need armed security.

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Politicians have been pulling this kind of stunt for a long time. In the internet era, though, it could be harder to pull off. I'm tired of this stuff, and, the "Joe the Plumber" stuff, too. It is good that some level of policy debate has actually emerged in recent weeks.

Here's a policy question that keeps coming up:

"Are ordinary, non-rich, old, retired people going to be able to receive healthcare? If so, how? Right now, they have Medicare. Will they have Medicare in the future?

Romney and Ryan want to phase out Medicare. What will happen in the future without Medicare?"

This is a policy question that needs to be faced head-on.

7. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Just today's version of "kiss the baby", make one look like a human "concerned" for the poor slacking 47%. Hey he apologised for that remark right?? :rolleyes:

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ryan was asked yesterday (I think) what he planned to do to help a college student with the crushing student loans when s/he graduated in 2 years. Ryan's response was that they were going to cut taxes, open up drilling and that would unleash the economy so that when they graduated, they could have a better chance to get a good job.

Nothing about interest rates. Nothing about education cost. Nothing about anything even remotely related to student loans. Tax cuts and oil drilling. I was shocked at how bizarre the answer sounded to such a basic question.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Translation. We (the GOP) got the system to help us out, now we are going to screw you over to keep us on top.

Sounds like a normal GOP response were they are yet again refusing to help out the people trying to better themselves.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Not much more than an eye-roller for me.

Politicians have a long history of awkwardly-staged campaign appearances.

We'll just add Paul Ryan to that list.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

One up-side, no babies were left crying hysterically this time. [​IMG]

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Hey look, Ryan is one hell of a VP candidate, he relates to the poor people, he cleans dishes! Just the man to clean up this country. God, I'm voting for him! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Just don't ask about how the Romney team talked their way in, the place was closed, and to make his handlers happy, Ryan started cleaning pots that were all ready clean, LOL! :eek:

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It's more then that to me. It's another example of a lie. Another example of a man and a campaign that will absolutely say or do ANYTHING to get elected. Even if that means barging into a non-partisan faith-based organization.

It's disgusting.

14. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

It is disgusting. You are right.

I just hope you are equally disgusted at the Obama campaign when they stage their own photo op.

15. 184550 Guest

I don't think anyone is 'disgusted' about the photo op, I think most are 'disgusted' because the Romney campaign has a history of leaving a trail of destruction when they visit places to do photo ops.

If you've got any evidence of the Obama campaign doing this sort of thing, I'd love see it.

16. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I guess I need to be educated. Since when is it the responsibility of the government to help with student loans in any way? You take out a loan at a certain rate that you knew about ahead of time, you agreed to pay it, you pay it back. That is the way it was when I was younger. Has this changed?

17. vega07 macrumors 65816

Yes I will be, once you show me something. :rolleyes:

18. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Lets see the fact that the Government is left and right cutting funding for higher education forcing the loans to get larger which means more debt.

Use to be state schools had most of their funding from the state. Now days they get very little from the state. It cost have been rising well more than inflation. A lot of it can be blamed on the state cutting funding from higher education left and right.

So tell me again how my point is wrong? Oh wait it is not.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, things have changed since you were younger. In the last decade alone student loan debt has increased about 500%. Higher education costs keep shooting up and it's becoming more common for students to rack up $50-100k in student loan debt. So the question becomes, should they rack up insane amounts of debt getting a higher education or should they skip college and go straight into the workforce even though that would mean significantly few career opportunities and significantly less earning potential. Rock and a hard place, no?

20. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

You're right, however, I think we need to work the real problem - which is the exploding costs of higher education. Instead of giving them more and more money, and making it easier for students to get loans, why not go after the reasons that are driving the costs up.

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

22. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

----------

I am still confused. I understand costs have gone up, but did the students who took out these loans agree on the the loan? Were they forced into the loan? Should we be responsible for our own choices to go into debt, or should we be looking to the government? Should I have to pay for these peoples loans from my pocket via Taxes?

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

ummm funding for the State schools and grants have been cut left and right. Sadly the GOP does not want to fix that problem. Instead they just want to make the cost go up more causing more debt. Clearly the GOP has zero interested in fixing bot the root and the results of the problem THEY create.

----------

And question goes back to this what I posted above.

You refuse to have your taxes to pay for higher education in general (aka state schools) You got government money for your education now you do not want to pay into the system for the next crew.

Think of it this way. It is money you should of paid for in the past any how in the form of higher taxes to fund the schools.

24. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

woman in the photo looks like she doesn't think ryan's doing such a good job......perhaps she'll have to do a bit of re-washing? :p