s Macbook Pro 13" 2.6GHz Retina (Late 2013) powerful for editing videos on FCPX?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aris1992, May 12, 2014.

1. aris1992 macrumors newbie

May 12, 2014
    Hello everyone! I am a new member here and I need your opinion and advices about the newest rMbp 13".

I am seriously considering to upgrade (soon!) my current 2010 Macbook Pro to a newer model with Retina display. And I actually I was thinking about the 13" 2.6GHz Retina model, since I am a multimedia student I edit a lot of pictures and videos on Photoshop and Final Cut Pro x on my iMac. FCPX sometimes acts up laggy and slow but that depends what I am working on. Does the rMpb 13" can held editing and rendering on Final Cut Pro? Or I should be patient and save bit more and go for rMbp 15" 2.0GH?

Thank you!
  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    You should go for at least a 15" rMBP with 2.3GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 2GB 750M. The dGPU makes all the difference, along with 16GB of RAM.
  3. aris1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 12, 2014
    Ow that means I gotta save money for extra months.
  4. theunderseaclub macrumors newbie

May 22, 2008
    I just bought the 13" 2.6ghz 16GB Retina, but i definitely don't plan on using it with FCPX or Final Cut Studio, although I'll install FCS (FCP, Compressor and Motion) on it probably.

You need a dedicated graphics card for FCPX, and of course quad core for best performance.

I'm getting the 13" Retina to replace my 2008 MBP as my travel/bring everywhere laptop, but I have my 3.33ghz Hex Core Mac Pro for my video/photo work.

I think the 13" retina should be okay with design/photo work, but for video, you need a more powerful laptop, and don't forget to get a fast external disk (thunderbolt HD) for your scratch disk!

So like the poster above said, get a quad core (processor speed isn't overly important), and as much ram as you can get(at least 16gb). Save the rest of the money for a thunderbolt drive for your scratch disk.