s my 4GB of memory going to cut it Aperture or anything better or do I need more??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by clarkkent18, Aug 9, 2011.

1. clarkkent18 macrumors member

My computer specs:
    Right now I am on a iMac (Late 2009) 21.5-inch with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Dup processor running on 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 (two slots taken up by 2GB DDR3 1067 MHz cards and I have two empty slots[I know if I do upgrade the memory to keep it all the same]) that has a ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB Graphics card on OS X Lion 10.7 operating system on a 1TB STAT 7200 RPM hard drive. Yes I am running stock out of the box at this time, for now. I am using Aperture 3 version 3.1.3

I am shooting in RAW format, high resolution, on a Nikon D5100 at 16.2 MP to a 32GB SDHC class-10 memory card. While I am importing my photos, making color adjustments, or changing between photos that are in my library; Aperture is taking its sweet time processing the image(s) I am looking at and from time to time I get the dreaded beach ball of death. Along with that, it’s killing me on how slow it takes to process any color, exposure, or any other kind of adjustments to the image I am working on to see if I like it or not. I only have Aperture and iTunes running when I am working within Aperture 3 and nothing else (I have check “Force Quit” to make sure nothing else [beside Finder] is running)

I am thinking about getting Lightroom or Photoshop CS5 and Final Cut Pro X. I am afraid if I upgrade and or change software, its going to take longer to do everything that I want to do and run lower then Aperture 3 is now.

If adding more memory to my current iMac, will this help speed things up in Aperture 3 and the other investments I am looking at making? If so, how much memory should I be looking at (yah I know 1 TB would be nice, but I don't think its not out there yet)? Or is it due to the processor that I am running on since it is not an i7 at a faster speed? Yet I might be VERY new to Macs, I do know a little bit about computers, more like PC not Macs.

I have an idea on how to change or upgrade the memory (if that will help me with my current problem, I have some Mac head that can do it for me). But if that is not the key to my problem: what else, if anything, can I change with out buying a new iMac (I have no clue on what can be changed and what I am stuck with since it is an iMac and not desktop computer)?

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Hi there, I think you would notice an improvement going to 8GB with Aperture. I was running 6GB and recently upgraded to 12GB and notice my memory consumption can now top about 8GB. If you iMac is being forced to page to disk a lot, this could be the source of your beach balls.

I would start with that. It's fairly cost effective and even if you later decide you want to upgrade your whole iMac, the investment in added memory will only help the resale value of your iMac.

3. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

While Aperture will work fine, it will bounce leagues ahead with more memory. I just upgraded from 4 to 8GB, not out of necessity but because the 8GB kit was so cheap, and you can CLEARLY notice it..

4. clarkkent18 thread starter macrumors member

You are not kidding that memory is cheap, so 8GB here I came. Now the question is, with the memory upgrade can my iMac be able to handle PhotoShop CS5 and Final Cut Pro X (not running at the same time)? With my current processor, will it be a waist of money until I upgrade to a brand new iMac.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Yeah, that should be plenty of RAM. I recently upgraded my laptop from 2GB to 4GB of RAM, and it could handle Photoshop CS5 even prior to the upgrade.

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would get beach balls out of control with both my 2.2GHZ 15" MBP (2011) AND my new iMac 2.5 i5. I upgraded to 8GB of RAM (and sold the stock 2x2GB sticks) and it flies. Remedied the BBs on both computers!

7. clarkkent18 thread starter macrumors member

I have been looking around and from what I have found is I could change out all of my ram for just over $100US bucks (that is if it work for mac). If what I am reading is correct, I could use 4GB (2X2GB) DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) and install four of them which will max out my memory at 16 GB.

NewEgg

What do you think? Good or bad idea??

8. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

No you cannot use those kits as they are 2x2GB sticks. 4 kits would make 8 required slots and as far as I know, no iMac has 8 memory slots. It has 4 slots so you need two kits with 8 GB each (2x4gb) so you end up with 4x4gb sticks.