S&P down 6.66%

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mac jones, Aug 8, 2011.

1. mac jones macrumors 68040

What does that mean? ;)

Note( DOW is down 5.55%... someone or something has a sick sense of humor :D )

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It means most everyone's stock portfolio took a dive today.

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

It means that instead of people doing their own decision making they trust the new credit rating of the United States to mean a bad thing and therefore a panic occurred. Sorry but the US could be rated C- and if there are products to be sold, services to be given and demand to be had it amounts to a hill of beans. Now if we listen to the news and their crud and panic then it does in fact cause a decline.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I opened a scottrade account a few weeks ago, and they've been nagging me to put money in it, I decided to wait until they figured out the debt ceiling...now I'm really glad I waited! :) I'm going to fund it this week and get in the market on the upswing.

6. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

It means we're continuing the downturn from 2008. Bailouts, stimulus, QE, and QE2 have all been to delay it. It's like a heroin addict who goes through withdrawal symptoms and concludes that more heroin will fix the problem. He feels good for a short amount of time, but now the withdrawal symptoms are back. The "fixes" will have to be larger and larger. And the resulting crashes will be harder and harder.

Things won't get better until there is a realistic plan to balance the budget, and restructure industries like healthcare to allow free market forces to work.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Eric Cantor = Damien Thorn. :D

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

So you were afraid that if you put your money into a brokerage it would go down with the stock market... Or were you afraid that if you put money in your account you would not be able to control yourself and would buy stocks simply because the funds were there.

You should rethink your plan or maybe make one.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I felt there was no point in having it in there until I was going to use it, right? This account is just for fun, I'm not putting anything more into it than I'd be prepared to lose entirely.

10. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Fair enough. I put money into my investment account religiously because it takes 3 days for deposits to settle and you never know when you may want to start a position.