S users who want to get off the S cycle this year.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kendo, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

I plan on getting on the non-S cycle next year by starting a 2 year contract with the iPhone 6. The problem is that I now have a 4S which is getting slow and I desperately want LTE since I have an unlimited plan.

AT&T allows an early upgrade for iPhones where the base model costs $450 instead of $200. Is it better to buy a 5 this year for $99 with 2 year contract and get an iPhone 6 next year for $450?

Or is it better to buy a 5S this year for $199 and get the 6 next year?

The reason I am asking is for resale purposes. Obviously I will get more for the 5S next year but keep in mind if I get the 5, it will be for $100 cheaper. So I'm wondering what the better end result will be if I am signing a 2 year contract this year, and starting a new 2 year contract next year with the early upgrade. Buy 5S for $199 and sell for a good price next year, or buy 5 for $99 and sell for a lower price next year?

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The 5 is dead. You mean 5C?

I would get the 5S since you would get the most money back in order to get the 6.

3. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

I mean 5. Apple stores and other carriers are selling remaining 5 stock at $99.

4. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I would probably get the 5S since you'll be able to sell it for more then the 6 comes.

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

For resale get the 5S since now we have the 5C with basically the same internals as the 5 you won't know if this will affect resale value of the 5 + or - .

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 5 may be dead, but as the OP noted it's still being sold.

OP, ask yourself if you need what the 5s offers. Or is it more of a want. And if a want, is it a want you can afford comfortably? Otherwise go with the 5.

The 5c is the iPhone 5, in a plastic case. Why buy plastic when you can get a 5 in metal? Yes, there is scuffgate, but if you are careful with the phone you can mitigate that. My iPhone 5 does not have any scratches on the front or back but that's because I don't lay it down on rough surfaces or slide it around.

I'm on the major update (non S) cycle and I'm happy with it. We could have upgraded when Sprint go the 4s, but that wasn't the phone we wanted so we waited another year. And I'm glad we did. Both my wife and I love our iPhone 5's.

And it's not like you can't update iOS. iOS 7 will be out soon (we are waiting for the jailbreak).

7. Kurso macrumors 6502

I'm on the iPhone 4. I'm out of storage capacity so I need to move to a 32GB model. I really don't want to be on the 's' cycle but I need a new phone, so I'm getting the 5s.

My plan is to bite the bullet and pay to upgrade when the 6 comes out. Assuming the 6 adds the 2 things I really want, NFC and wireless charging.

I missed the 5 mainly because of upgrade cycle timing and disappointment in the lack of certain features but I won't let myself get stuck on an 's' cycle again.

8. Kendo thread starter macrumors 68000

Well it is less of a want and more of a "I definitely need LTE now so I will get an iPhone that offers it, but I will definitely re-up a new 2 year contract next year to get off S cycle." Either way, this year is simply a "loaner" so that I can have some LTE.

What it boils down to, and here is where I throw numbers out of my butt. If I buy a 5 for $100 and can sell it for $300 next year, I make $200. Then to sign a 2 year contract with base iPhone for $450 means I'm out $250 for iPhone 6.

If I buy a 5S for $200 and sell it for $350 next year, I make $150. $450 minus $150 measn I'm out $300 for the iPhone 6.

I just can't predict if the iPhone 5S price will take a major hit once the 6 comes out. I'm basically trying to figure out the cheapest "loaner" I can get.

9. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

How much can you buy an iPhone 5 for person-to-person?

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ah, ok, I get you. Sorry, I don't sell my phones so none of this is a factor for me or my wife. We usually just use part of our tax refund every two years. Should have occurred to me that you were thinking resale value.

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Wait for the 6 unless you absolutely can't wait a year. I don't like the S upgrades lol

12. the8thark macrumors 68040

the8thark

The only way to get off the S cycle is wait 3 years and get a 6. You can't buy a Phone in an S year and expect to get off the S cycle.

13. sam2428 macrumors 6502

Why not try to buy an iphone 5 used right now and save your full upgrade for the 6 next year? You could then turn around and sell the 5 next year and put that toward the cost of the 6.

I dont know what the current price of the iphone 5 is but I am sure if you wait until after the 5S is released prices on craigslist/ebay etc will drop further.