S video to VGA monitor iPhone dock

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MacPC, Feb 18, 2011.

1. MacPC macrumors regular

Hi, I am never a fan of accessories. often, the accessories are junky craps , if I get an expensive decent ones, one the device maker come out with a new model, most likely the accessories are not gonna be compatible then they will be sitting in the basment collecting dust, a total waste of money and more junks to pollute the enviroment.

However, I do want to get a dock for my iPhone 4, What I need is one that has some forms of video output like S-video so that I can use a S-video to VGA adaptor to connect the iPhone to my widescreen monitor to watch netflix movies and has a audio line out so I can connect it to my stereo. I am wondering if anyone know what kind of video quality it's going to be and can snyone recommend a dock? Thanks

2. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

svideo cannot be connected directly to VGA. You will need some hardware in between for it to work. Then svideo is crap resolution 480 interlaced. It will look terrible on a high resolution monitor.

Your best option will cost you some money but what you want to do can be done.
    You will need the ipod dock to component video/audio cable
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC917ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOQ&mco=MjAyNDI1ODQ
    and then you will need a component video to VGA transcoder such as this
    http://www.amazon.com/Component-video-YPbPr-Converter-Up-scale/dp/B0016SN49Y

then you could use a VGA cable from the transcoder to the monitor

if your monitor has component video input then you should use that of course though.

3. MacPC thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply. Ha ha, I found the cheapest solution!! I found a composite video to VGA adaptor I bought by mistake long time ago. never found a use for it, then I have this composie video cable for iPhone I bought from ebay for 1 buck which doesn't work on my iPhone 4 because freakin' Apple disabled it so that you have to buy their's for $40!!! damn Apple. Last night I found this app, called Resupported4 on Cydia, cost $3.99, but it re-enabled the cable, now I hook up the cable to the VGA adaptor to my 22" VGA monitor and to my stereo, now I can watch Netflix movies on my mini home entertainment system. :D

4. ridax macrumors newbie

ridax

Otherwise, if you want a dock solution with sVideo out (and also without need for jailbreak) I recommend Apple's first Universal Dock, the one with the round IR window and sVideo connector.