Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I’m finally getting my watch tomorrow and I got all excited only to find out power will be out in CA for about 5 days or more.

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
Why is the power out for 5 days and why does that make you less excited to get the aw5?

Strangedream

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2019
London, UK
The watch will come with 60-80% with that you should be fine for a few hour drive to NV or AZ and recharge it there. Hopefully they'll have power there.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Run it on acc. Don’t need gas. Most vehicles have one port where they can charge without being turned on.
Eventually leaving the switch on or anything plugged in will drain the battery. I was sort of kidding about the gas stations being down because I hope nothing that bad has happened. This is one thing I miss about my Ford, being able to plug something in to charge without having to leave the key in.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
They are cutting power due to the risk of fires. So it’ll be off 5-6 days. But I couldn’t see charging an Apple Watch killing the battery. I mean eventually yes but start the car up once a day for 5 min and it should recharge easily.

• Wow
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
They are cutting power due to the risk of fires. So it’ll be off 5-6 days. But I couldn’t see charging an Apple Watch killing the battery. I mean eventually yes but start the car up once a day for 5 min and it should recharge easily.
That's crazy. Some people have medical issues that require power but it's California so I shouldn’t be surprised. I wouldn't see an AW charger killing the battery. I wouldn't leave it plugged in overnight though. Getting one of those mobile power banks might be a good workaround but it would still need to be charged after a while.

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
That's crazy. Some people have medical issues that require power but it's California so I shouldn’t be surprised. I wouldn't see an AW charger killing the battery. I wouldn't leave it plugged in overnight though. Getting one of those mobile power banks might be a good workaround but it would still need to be charged after a while.

Since 2017 was a bad year for pg&e because they got sued for 10 billion plus due to all the fires that were caused from their power lines. But in reality only in Cali would they lose that suit.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I’m just confused as why you can’t use a car charger??
I am not positive, but power outages might also affect cell towers.

So the OP can get her phone, power it on, but not do anything with it due to not having any internet or cell service.

Maybe dial-up might still work for people that still have it?

Reactions: russell_314

Moriend87

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2019
I am not positive, but power outages might also affect cell towers.

So the OP can get her phone, power it on, but not do anything with it due to not having any internet or cell service.

Maybe dial-up might still work for people that still have it?

Most cell companies have back up generators. I’d say they could run a few days.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That sucks. A buddy of mine just moved to San Jose and has been telling me about how they're about to lose power for several days.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
So good news power outages for my area don’t start until tomorrow. I was just worried about not being able to do the initial setup. We also have a power bank for our devices that’s about 26,800 plus another one that’s at 12,000 so hopefully that will last us awhile. As for using the car to charge I thought of that already too as a last resort.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
I’m finally getting my watch tomorrow and I got all excited only to find out power will be out in CA for about 5 days or more.

I won't make this a political post--but I have so many reasons to dislike CA, and this is another one. It's too bad my favorite place on the planet is Yosemite national park. We have family out there affected by this. As others have said--by a portable battery. I have a 5000 mah one with a dimple for the AW and output for other devices. It comes with a stand for charging it up as well as to stand the AW. I can charge the AW like 10 times with it. It's easy to carry on trips, to the office, etc. It used micro USB to charge, and because it's small you should be able to charge it up with your car pretty quickly. Good luck.

maleficent86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Ok so good news I received my watch this morning and was able to set it up and use it already. On another note I think they canceled the outage for my area.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Hahaha sorry to disappoint you but my iPhone 11 Pro Max is coming today so maybe that will be a more promising story.

Only if your power is going to be out and you have a quarter tank of gas left in your car.... Then you have to track down the UPS driver before your gas runs out and find a place to charge in the neighboring town. Don't let us down!

Reactions: Duncan68

Duncan68

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2018
Only if your power is going to be out and you have a quarter tank of gas left in your car.... Then you have to track down the UPS driver before your gas runs out and find a place to charge in the neighboring town. Don't let us down!

This could be made into a video game, LOL.

Reactions: bigjnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.