Sacramento Auschwitz Survivor Compares Trump Immigration Policy to Nazi Germany

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
The title and article speaks for itself. And while it has been noted in the NTY and WashPo:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/03/29/a-holocaust-survivors-pointed-message-about-ice-enforcement-history-is-not-on-your-side/?utm_term=.923cfdbb5a91

for those that scream "liberal bias" or "fake news", I'll defer to the local source (in my current hometown, no less).

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article141862719.html

Sacramento Auschwitz survivor goes viral by comparing Trump immigration policy to Nazi Germany

BY ED FLETCHER

Bernard Marks, 87, will talk about the Holocaust with anyone who will listen.

The world was listening this week after the Auschwitz survivor stood at a Sacramento immigration forum Tuesday and compared the Trump administration’s hardline stance on refugees and undocumented immigrants to Nazi Germany.

“History is not on your side,” Marks told Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones, who hosted the forum featuring Thomas Homan,, acting director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Marks came to the United States after spending more than five years in Nazi concentration camps as a child during World War II.

Versions of his sharp comments at the forum have run in The Washington Post, Huffington Post, New York Daily News, The Times of Israel and The Independent (of London) among other publications, this week.

“It went viral,” Marks said. “People I know in Europe picked it up.”

Speaking at the forum at the Sacramento County Youth Gym, Homan didn’t directly address Marks’ comparison but defended his agency’s activities.

“If you think ICE officers don’t have a heart, you don’t get it,” Homan told the largely hostile crowd. “Do I feel sorry about the plight of some of these people? Yes, but I have a job to do.”

In a followup interview, Marks talked about his comparison of the Trump administration to Nazis.

“I have not compared them 100 percent to the Nazis, but we are on the way,” he said. “What concerns me is we are breaking up families. We are turning justice upside down. We are starting with the Muslims. Who is next?”

On Thursday, Marks was back talking about the injustices suffered by Jews during World War II. His audience members this time were students in back-to-back civics classes at Laguna Creek High School in Elk Grove.

Speaking before a racially diverse class, Marks skipped the political comments and offered a detailed account, with slide show, of his life in Poland, forced transportation to concentration camps and the atrocities there.

Skipping slides here and there, Marks was unable to fit his two-hour talk into the one-hour class. A gruesome slide of charred bodies remained on the screen as bell rang and the students filed out.

The room briefly empty, Marks reset the show and prepared to tell his story again.
Oh wait.. there's authenticity in this. Video below:

Funny thing here.. People in Europe have easily picked up on this... yet certain Europeans from Germany here seem to be okay with it, to the point where they are calling it "winning". Makes you wonder why...

BL.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Watched 2x. Still not entirely sure what his point is. I have full admiration that he survived one of the most horrific events of all time, but his comparison of Nazis arresting and killing German citizen Jewish families and US officials enforcing immigration law is a pretty extreme stretch of reason.

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Watched 2x. Still not entirely sure what his point is. I have full admiration that he survived one of the most horrific events of all time, but his comparison of Nazis arresting and killing German citizen Jewish families and US officials enforcing immigration law is a pretty extreme stretch of reason.
See the video in post #4. Additionally, he is referring to how the splitting of families that ICE is doing compares to what the Nazis did with splitting families back then. The parallels are there.

BL.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Watched 2x. Still not entirely sure what his point is... his comparison of Nazis arresting and killing German citizen Jewish families and US officials enforcing immigration law is a pretty extreme stretch of reason.
Liberals/Democrats/Progressives view politics with a one-word analysis. In the last eight years, that word was "racist."
Disagree with Obama on Quantitative Easing? Racist.
Have concerns about the sustainability of the Affordable Care Act? Racist.
Desire less drone strikes? Racist.

Liberals/Democrats/Progressives are now clamoring for a new one-word analysis. "Racist" doesn't work, because a Republican is president, and he is not black. So, for the moment, they've been testing the waters with "Hitler".
Trump is enforcing immigration laws? Hitler.

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Liberals/Democrats/Progressives view politics with a one-word analysis. In the last eight years, that word was "racist."
Disagree with Obama on Quantitative Easing? Racist.
Have concerns about the sustainability of the Affordable Care Act? Racist.
Desire less drone strikes? Racist.

Liberals/Democrats/Progressives are now clamoring for a new one-word analysis. "Racist" doesn't work, because a Republican is president, and he is not black. So, for the moment, they've been testing the waters with "Hitler".
Trump is enforcing immigration laws? Hitler.
Do you deny anything this man has said as false, or are you simply stuck with ad hominem attacks, because you have no base which to stand?

BL.

Reactions: 0098386

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
See the video in post #4. Additionally, he is referring to how the splitting of families that ICE is doing compares to what the Nazis did with splitting families back then. The parallels are there.

BL.
Pretty sure the Nazis split up families into one group for hard labour and the other group for gassing. There were no real laws in Nazi Germany, they were whatever Hitler wanted them to be. The parallels are not there.

Isn't being split up a risk you take when you break the law?

The constant Nazi comparisons are incredibly disrespectful to the people who actually lived (and died) through it.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US

BL.
Sure you could say parallels are there the same way you could draw a parallel between falling off a bike and scraping your knee and being paralyzed from a car accident. It's too extreme to be reasonable. Jews committed no crime simply by being born Jewish, but someone who chooses to violate laws which have been in place for a very long time is running the risk of consequences based on that choice. Be it one individual or somebody who chooses to involve family and children, they run the risk of having this happen. It is selfish to bring small children into a situation where they might be taken from, or separated from their parents. It is not logical to point a finger at the government and cry foul because they chose knowingly to break the law. If he was drawing a comparison to Jewish families who moved into Nazi occupied areas, and then will rounded up, that would be a more reasonable comparison.

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Pretty sure the Nazis split up families into one group for hard labour and the other group for gassing. There were no real laws in Nazi Germany, they were whatever Hitler wanted them to be. The parallels are not there.
They split up families. Simply by supplying reasons as to why, you are providing justification for what they did. Justifications don't excuse the fact that what they did was wrong.

Isn't being split up a risk you take when you break the law?
Did the Jews break the law?

As for here, burden of proof is on the prosecution. They need to prove, in court, that the accused has broken the law. If they can't prove that, then the prosecution has the problem.

Case in point: George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.

The constant Nazi comparisons are incredibly disrespectful to the people who actually lived (and died) through it.
He lived through it. His parents lived in it and died in it. If anything, he deserves the right to make the comparison.

BL.

Reactions: 0098386

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
They split up families. Simply by supplying reasons as to why, you are providing justification for what they did. Justifications don't excuse the fact that what they did was wrong.
I absolutely was not justifying what the Nazis did. Where the heck did you get that from? My point was dismantling the comparison you're making between then and now. They are in no way similar.

Did the Jews break the law?

As for here, burden of proof is on the prosecution. They need to prove, in court, that the accused has broken the law. If they can't prove that, then the prosecution has the problem.

Case in point: George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.
Are people being removed without an immigration hearing? You just said 'splitting up families'. If they're being removed without a hearing as they're entitled to, then yes that is wrong.

He lived through it. His parents lived in it and died in it. If anything, he deserves the right to make the comparison.

BL.
Then I completely disagree with the man. The Jews were arbitrarily rounded up and killed. Just because people are being split up as a result of immigration enforcement doesn't automatically mean ICE are suddenly the same as the Nazis. That's saying because x and y share some characteristic z, x and y are the same.

Last edited:

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
Then I completely disagree with the man. The Jews were arbitrarily rounded up and killed. Just because people are being split up as a result immigration enforcement doesn't automatically mean ICE are suddenly the same as the Nazis. That's saying because x and y share some characteristic z, x and y are the same.
To be fair, saying the "Jews were arbitrarily rounded up and killed" isn't really a fair assessment of what happened. There was a lot of circumstances that led up to the actual extermination of Jews that you seem to be completely ignoring (including many countries, even the US, ignoring the plight of jewish refugees who were trying to flee). It started with some simple laws and registration, which is what I think was his point. Their original plan was never to kill them, just to get them out of their country (and the ones they took over).

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's shocking how many people don't understand what happened in Germany in the 30's.

noekozz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
212/201
To be fair, saying the "Jews were arbitrarily rounded up and killed" isn't really a fair assessment of what happened. There was a lot of circumstances that led up to the actual extermination of Jews that you seem to be completely ignoring (including many countries, even the US, ignoring the plight of jewish refugees who were trying to flee). It started with some simple laws and registration, which is what I think was his point. Their original plan was never to kill them, just to get them out of their country (and the ones they took over).

Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's shocking how many people don't understand what happened in Germany in the 30's.

Some people only see things for face value without actually having any interest in depth. Please forgive them. In actuality the comparisons between the Trump campaign rhetoric and the rise of Hitler have some similarities, replace Jews with illegal immigrants and (Muslim) travel bans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 0098386 and bradl

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Whenever people start comparing Trump to WW2 leaders Franklin D. Roosevelt seems more pertinent that what they come up with.

Reactions: bradl

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Whenever people start comparing Trump to WW2 leaders Franklin D. Roosevelt seems more pertinent that what they come up with.
No argument there, either. And people also seem to forget that as well. However, the plight of George Takei seems to fall on deaf ears here.

BL.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013

Too many americans are happy just knowing that "the rest of the world would be speaking german, if not for them (the US) in WW2", they don't care about anything beyond that

And they'll happily tell anyone who'll listen

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Most easier to do the death camps when 80-90% of the population doesn't like Jews, rather than 5%.

Desertrat

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2003
Terlingua, Texas
The rejection of Nazi victims in the late 1930s was wrong; they were true refugees who would have done no harm.

Trump's rejection is of those where the belief is that they could indeed do harm.

Some anti-Trump dude offered the survivor a distorted picture of Trump's order--as usual.

bradl

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
Remember that time Trump proposed that we stick millions of Muslims and Mexicans in ovens, and position white America as the master race and go to war with the world? Yeh me either.
I remember the time Trump said "Vote for me, and we'll make America Great Again".

The Nazi Party stated, "vote for us, and we'll make your country great again".

But you don't remember that. :rolleyes:

BL.