Sacrifice Function for Form? Future iPhones

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
The iPod Touch 5th gen. does not have an auto-brightness feature. The form factor was just too thin to allow for it.

To achieve a thinner and / or lighter iPhone, the shaving off of some features could be required at some point.

Would you be willing to give up some non-crucial, although convenient, features in future iPhone releases to allow for an even smaller (not talking screen size here) form factors?

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I could maybe do without the phone part.

But I still want the cellular part.

Regards,
Tom

Comment

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2012
I can't see any reason why they would need to make a phone thinner than the 5. I really don't get why it needed to be thinner than the 4. The only advantage I can see is that you can add a thin case to the 5 and it will still be slightly thinner than the 4. I would rather the iPhone 6 have a better battery and be the same thickness of the 5.

Comment

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Imagine how thin they could make it with no screen, no battery, no phone part.... Then it would be ultimately thin and sexy.

in fact here is a picture of them testing the newest design now.
nophoneimages.jpg

Comment

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
Imagine how thin they could make it with no screen, no battery, no phone part.... Then it would be ultimately thin and sexy.

in fact here is a picture of them testing the newest design now.
View attachment 370640
Did you happen to catch the Weeds series finale?

They had a flash forward and had just a rectangle piece of glass as a phone. It did have a hologram keyboard that was cool

Comment

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Did you happen to catch the Weeds series finale?

They had a flash forward and had just a rectangle piece of glass as a phone. It did have a hologram keyboard that was cool
They had something like that in the movie Prometheus -- funny thing, though, it still looked thicker than the iPhone 5.

Regards,
Tom

Comment

bob24

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
The iPod Touch 5th gen. does not have an auto-brightness feature. The form factor was just too thin to allow for it.
That's what marketing Phil tells you.

They were able to fit two cameras in the device. I don't know how light sensor works ... but it sounds a bit like a very basic B&W with one pixel would do the job. How come the cameras are fine and this isn't?

So whatever the reason is ... I doubt it has to do with thickness.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.