Sad ending to a long tale

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ozone, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. ozone macrumors 6502


    Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, some of you know that I've been waiting for long time (19 days) for a BTO 17" PB to even get built. I'm seeing more and more delay-in-shipping threads too. And OF COURSE, I found out today that it was delayed yet again for another week. I'm cursed, must be...

    When I tried to find out what the situation was this time, well, it seems that the wrong order was placed internally in Apple. The specs are similar but not what I had specified. Sooo... I've been waiting for the wrong thing! If I hadn't inquired, I would have waited another two weeks, and then found out that I would have let 5 weeks go by for the wrong item to be delivered.

    For some stupid reason, it seems like a fitting end to this story, n'est-ce pas?


    So, the PB order's been cancelled. Question to all you experienced Mac types: do I re-order (any guesses to how long this will take?) or should I just not bother given Apple's "apparent" production problems? I might just forget the Apple idea for a long while, pick up a Windows laptop for now to get by, and then re-evaluate my decision a year or two from now. Apologies in advance to all the great posters who helped me out with my decision the last couple of months.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn


    Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Geez dude, just go to a store and buy it there! Most uni campuses will have Apple, as will several stores like CSC, and even Best Buy. There are quite a few resellers to get them from as well. Well, I'm only speaking from a Toronto point of view, anyway, but yeah, try uni campuses.

    Either that, or try ordering again from the Apple store. Surely the 17 isn't in THAT high a demand!
  3. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a


    Feb 3, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    As Thinksecret posted, there are plenty of 17" PBook's around. What BTO options did you choose? If it was memory only, just buy the memory elsewhere and pick up the machine from a local retailer.

    Lately with my machines I have been having 2-3 day turn around, even the in demand ones.
  4. ozone thread starter macrumors 6502


    Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Sorry... I don't have the option of going to an Apple reseller or campus store. This is a work purchase and I have to go through the institution. Work policy and no way around it. The BTO options aren't available through any of the local resellers: it was more than just RAM upgrades. And as you've probably guessed, there are only a few resellers where I live, not at all like Toronto. None of the resellers carry any stock: I've asked already.

    As for why my 17" PB was held up, I have NO idea. I agree with you, you'd think there can't be THAT much demand for the 17" model. Whatever.

    Thanks for your suggestions anyways.
  5. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a


    Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would try to reorder and see what happens. Can't hurt, can it?
  6. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

    May 2, 2003
    The Netherlands - Utrecht
    Feel you pain, bought a powerbook the same way... since it was a workorder, any shop was out of the question, and -as always- the service was absent.

    On the bright side, when apple finally did what they had promised a long long time ago, it was a great powerbook. So if you aren't too fed up with apple, try the store again, and change as little to the configuration as possible. It seems to hard to handle for apple.

    But how a company survives with the delevery standards apple holds, it baffles me to say the least... I have never ever ordered something at apple which was actually delevered as promised, not to speak about redicilous long waits.

    So, buckle up.... it's worth the agony....

  7. SolidGun macrumors 6502


    Jul 24, 2004
    Twin Cities
    I was going to go for BTO, but with all the problems that was going on with shipping, I just went to the Apple store and picked up stock version. I would call in and ask about reordering. If you want/need a Mac, you should do your best to get it. Good luck.
  8. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816


    May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Have fun with that :rolleyes:


    Seriously you see many people that hate their crappy PC laptop and MUCH less people that hate their apple laptop.
  9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816


    Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    It's strange that it would take so long for you to get your BTO 17" powerbook, as they don't seem to be in short supply. Perhaps Apple Canada doesn't really have their act together. Anyways, you might try placing a new order, as it might go through more quickly this time. As buying your powerbook is a decision you have sppent much time, you must really have your heart set on getting it. I think you will be very disappointed with anything else at this point, and the powerbook will really be worth the wait.
  10. maclamb macrumors 6502


    Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    I would do the BTO via a person - online on the phone and explain what happened. Maybe that will help. I wouldn't give up on the product because at times portions of Apple's systems have their head up their ass.
    Happens to ALL of us....
    one might even suggest that the reason you are so pissed is that you (unconsciosly) have noticed you do this yourself on occaision...
    and yes, it's annoying...

Share This Page