sad :( received a replacement iPhone. was hoping they'd just FIX my old one...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scriptkitten, Aug 15, 2007.

1. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

so.. on sunday my camera died... if i opened the camera i got a fuzzy white screen followed by a hard crash. and if i let the iphone sleep for more than a few seconds it would freeze in sleep.

i took my baby to apple and they gave me a loaner.. i got the new phone in the mail as i was leaving today. i opened it quickly, and to my dismay its a brand new phone :(

i have to admit, i'm scared to boot it up. my 1st phone was perfect. clear, no dots, good reception, good speaker, perfect... except for the suddenly suicidal camera.

my loaner phone sounds like crap.. i can hear others okay but my husband and others are complaining that i sound HORRIBLE.

i'll set up the new phone tonight, but i'm hoping this doesn't turn into a major hassle where i have to go back to the apple store AGAIN to have them give me a new phone.

am i silly to have such a defeatist attitude :)?

new iphone semi unboxing: http://gallery.mac.com/daria/100052/photo1187206019436/web.jpg

2. Gibbons macrumors member

I felt the same way about my original iPhone. Everything was great until the camera malfunctioned. My replacement is coming tomorrow.

This loaner phone feels different to me somehow, like physically different. Probably all in my head, but still...

Your first iPhone is special. You brought it home from the store, unboxed it, and you loved it from the start. Now you've lost that iPhone and you have to start over with a new one. You got a loaner phone on the rebound but now you know you have to learn to love again and settle down with a new one. All you can do is hope you love this one just as much and it lasts forever, or at least until you buy the next version.
    :eek:

3. overcast macrumors 6502a

4. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

no, i dont think your silly, (im not sure what a defeatist attitude is exactly ) but since you had an iphone that satisfied you, and now you have to settle for one of lesser quality is not cool. If this new iphone is not up to your standards and there is something genuinely wrong with it, i would say take it back. You didn't do anything wrong to the first one, and you deserve to have a well working iphone.

5. scriptkitten thread starter macrumors regular

scriptkitten

but... but... but... i waited in line 12 hours for my JeebusPhone! and i got interviewed for CNBC with it!

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Now I know why I spend more time at AppleInsider's forums these days...:rolleyes:

7. Gibbons macrumors member

Blasphemers, all! May Jobs smite thee with thine own iPhones somehow!

Seriously though, scriptkitten, I know how you feel. I'm hoping my replacement is only slightly more flawless than my original. I'd rather not do this whole thing again...

8. dougas macrumors newbie

I have had two replacement iPhones, they ARE different. They feel smoother to touch and lighter in the hand???? Weird I know but i agree with the poster, they ARE DIFFERENT. I am going to test the weight of my replacment on some digi scales. Let's see if it weighs less than an original first issue.
    :cool::cool::cool:

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Scriptkitten, I feel your pain...

my first had a software glitch, but on the "upside" I received a week 47 iPhone and I synced right outside the store on my MacBook, and in a matter of minutes "poof" I had all my contacts, iCal, iTunes music/video, and DVD movies on my new phone. So far, no problems, hopefully everything is backed-up for your new iPhone! :cool:

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I just got a second iPhone yesterday myself (week 51). The screen is perfect, no dead or stuck pixels and the sound is louder consistantly unlike my original that I have here still.

Just open it and set it up and enjoy that.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I got a week 50 as my first iphone a few weeks ago and it is flawless.

Though, if something would happen to go wrong I would definitely want a brand new one if only to get a brand new battery. That is a problem that everyone will experience at some point.

12. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

OOOOH, that is special, id be crying if i was you right now :(. Unfortunatly i dont think they could fix that, not in a way where it would be worth it to them.

13. sWaltuo macrumors regular

I also got a new iPhone a few weeks ago along with a few friends of mine. I agree that something feels different, whether that is mental or physical would be interesting to figure out.

Now I must say, I'm pretty sure that Apple doesn't just fix our old phones because they want to look at every possible problem these gen. 1 phone are having so they can fix them for future revision and improvements.

Therefore, even though the "feeling" is different I accept that I got a new phone for the sake of making my future v.2 iPhone better?

Helps me sleep at night ..