Sad state of affairs for Global LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by viewfly, Sep 10, 2012.

1. viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

Regarding the new world LTE. iphone.

And I was hoping that LTE would unite the world more than before. Still too many frequencies for a world phone. I guess old GSM and 2G is still the standard bearer at 4 bands.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443819404577637903902952754.html

IDC data shows that only three countries in the world have significant numbers of LTE customers: the U.S., South Korea and Japan. Verizon currently has the largest LTE network in the world and the highest number of LTE subscribers, says IDC.

International Data Corp. analyst John Byrne estimates there are 36 LTE bands around the world, compared with 22 bands for the most popular version of 3G technology.

While building a phone that supports multiple bands of LTE is possible, it presents a significant technical challenge to design chips needed to support all of the different bands.

"It's like patchwork quilt in terms of spectrum," said Bill Davidson, senior vice president of Qualcomm Inc., QCOM -1.10% which designs LTE computer chips. "It will be impractical to have all of the bands."

What do you think?

2. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

u.s.a!
    u.s.a!
    u.s.a!
    u.s.a!

3. zhandri macrumors 6502

4. TC25 macrumors 68020

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have wondered the same thing for power plugs. Why does every country have its own design? I can never get those 2-pin plugs into a 3-pin socket without several minutes of blind prodding using a screwdriver.

There are some things around the world it just makes no sense not to standardise! :eek: