Sadiq Khan bans adverts showing 'unrealistic body images'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Jun 14, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is this a load of BS or what? Imagine NY's Mayor making this kind of decision.

By Adam Bienkov
    Monday, 13 June 2016 10:04 AM

Sadiq Khan has banned all adverts which portray "an unhealthy body image" from appearing on London's transport network.

The new mayor of London said there will now be a total ban on any new advertisements that might "pressurise people to conform to unhealthy or unrealistic body images"

"As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies," Khan said today.

"It is high time it came to an end. Nobody should feel pressurised, while they travel on the Tube or bus, into unrealistic expectations surrounding their bodies and I want to send a clear message to the advertising industry about this."

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2016/06/13/sadiq-khan-bans-adverts-showing-unrealistic-body-images

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's not really hard to imagine.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Will women be permitted to attend the public beheadings in Hyde Park?

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, I'd put nothing past De Blowhard.

5. bandrews macrumors 6502a

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That Khan will ban all adverts featuring smiling people with nice pearly whites.

7. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Is there more to the story that the stupid idea of shaming? How about Muslims being offended, or sufficiently turned on to act it out on a live woman?

We had the religious jews in our area wanting to ban comely, nearly bare female bicycle riders from traveling within their neck of the woods. Parts of Brooklyn.

8. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I'm not sure what the problem here is.......?

9. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

They elected it let them live with it. Sharia law for london.

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm inclined to agree with this. If the Mayor wasn't Muslim, this wouldn't be a talking point. I (as far as I understand it), see this as practical and not as a descent into Burkas for everyone...your opinion may vary.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Out of curiosity, how is this practical?

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

"As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies," Khan said today.

"It is high time it came to an end. Nobody should feel pressurised, while they travel on the Tube or bus, into unrealistic expectations surrounding their bodies and I want to send a clear message to the advertising industry about this."

This seems practical.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

It seems practical that he will parent his children vis-a-vis city ordinances?

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, now I'm curious...

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Stop allowing rich people to be rich! Nobody should have to be ashamed for not having enough money to buy what they want!

Stop elevating those who are excellent at sports! Nobody should have to be ashamed because he or she can't run fast!

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This doesn't stop someone opening a magazine or looking on the internet for the latest Kardashian style. Wouldn't you like less ridiculous adverts in public spaces?

18. Populism, Jun 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2016

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

There are lots of things I'd like:

no newspapers (as they lead to litter in the streets)
    no church bells
    no political marches
    no advertisements for air travel (as they remind me I don't have the money to travel)
    no drinking after 7:00 pm (as it leads to crime and/or DUIs)
    no aromas of pork or beef in public areas (as I find them offensive)

I hope the mayor continues on this path, and that he dislikes the same things that I dislike.

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

oh, come on. Let's see how this plays out first...

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Just more nanny statism. Heaven forbid people see things that they might find offensive.

21. 617aircav Suspended

This was coming way before he was elected. It's was pushed by the feminist who claim pretty slim women shame non pretty slim women. Khan is just bowing to their pressure. Look up protein world on YouTube. Feminists went crazy over those beach body ready ads featuring a sexy model. Feminist did this and not khan.

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I have been following this story in the UK media and I think that some of those who have posted on this thread have managed to focus on the wrong thing - the religion of the Mayor, and seeing this as oppressive of women - rather than the fact that young women are assailed with ludicrous and impossible images of unattainable physical proportions which is what they are supposed to want to emulate.

As @blackfox has already pointed out, if Sadiq Khan were not Muslim, this would be a non-story.

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure it's an "offensive" issue, but more of what influences inform our cultural norms. Or not.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, it is a typical politician who just wants the government to have more and more and more control over our lives.

25. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

So no images of fat people, right?