Safari—terrible UI/UX with bookmarks—left column should close after choosing bookmark.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doug in albq, Oct 19, 2016.

1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

In my opinion, in Safari web browser for iPad, bookmark column on left side should close as soon as one picks their bookmark choice. Hideous UX—I cannot believe this blunder is not commented on more widespread. It is surprising this lasted longer than a .X update, yet a major iOS update.

In addition, the way it shrinks the UI of the actual website/page and puts up a column of bookmarks to the side of page rather than over the page is a mistake and is a major blunder. Nevermind that the damn column stays there after picking bookmark.

In no other major web browser, desktop or mobile, is this UI/UX repeated.

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I store all of my bookmarks in favorites so they show up automatically when I open a new tab or tab the address bar, and disappear when I click a bookmark.

3. friedmud macrumors 65816

This is pretty annoying. Especially since the behavior is different between Portrait / Landscape!

4. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

Interesting. I rarely use Safari and even less in portrait. I had no idea the UI for bookmarks functioned properly in portrait mode. Why heck is it not an option to use either UI style in either position is beyond me...

EDIT: This is Apple "designing for iPad" gone very wrong...

5. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

In landscape mode on 99% of web pages, the extra space afforded by not showing the bookmark column just ends up being blank white space. That is why Apple designed it to work that way in landscape mode but not in portrait mode.

6. doug in albq, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

Um, no.

7. The Cowardly Lion Suspended

The Cowardly Lion

OP is spot-on. Apple, fix this crap. If more people used iPads this would be a bigger deal.

8. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Biggest excuse for crap software I ever did see.
    Certainly needs to be fixed.

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Personally, I've never seen a problem with it - it's basically how Safari on macOS works if you open the bookmarks sidebar

10. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

I quite like it that way, and I agree there's some logic to it. I don't see what is to be gained by covering up one side of the website with the bookmark column.

11. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I do not see the logic in 3 taps as opposed to two taps every time a user wants to go to another bookmark via the bookmarks dropdown. Also, nothing stays covered up, because as soon as you choose the new bookmark the column closes automatically and immediately. That is cool if this UI usability decision does not bother many, it bothers me to have an additional tap every time—enough to not use the browser as my 1st choice.

12. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

The logic is allowing to you go through bookmarks with only 1 tap each, for those times when you need that. You can switch between 1, 2 or 3-tap workflows, just by rotating the iPad. Three options balancing speed with window size, without ever having to meddle with toggles or preferences. I think that's quite a clever design. It doesn't suit you, but that doesn't make it a hideous blunder. Enjoy your other browser.

13. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I have said this many times...the way safari organizes bookmarks reminds me of the old ancient internet explorer on windows 98

14. BrennerM macrumors regular

I had no idea what you meant until I tried it. I have the Favorites Bar enabled so I always go to bookmarks using that and it works great for me. I had never ever used the bookmarks icon to open web pages in all my years of iPad usage. I had only ever used it to edit/rearrange Favorites.