Safari 3 beta and iChat don't seem to get along very well...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NightLord, Jun 11, 2007.

1. NightLord macrumors regular

So, I installed Safari 3 (Overall, it's brilliant!), but it seems to have screwed up iChat something rotten....

Some problems:
    • When you send a message, nothing appears until you press any key... EDIT: This only seems to happen with longer messages.... EDIT x2: Seems to occur when the input box has to expand for a second line of text, so enlarging the window allows you to use more characters EDIT x3: If you don't press a key, and the other contact sends a message, yours goes through. Moving the mouse also sends the message. EDIT x4: (I and a contact are running tests on this, sorry for all the edits ;P) If the system does ANYTHING the message sends, including using your apple remote.
    • You type a message and send it, but the thought bubble stays there for like a minute before the message sends
    • Program still runs, but you cannot receive or send any messages, meaning you need to close and reopen iChat...

These aren't just for me, another iChat/Safari 3 user is having the same problem.

Incidentally, I'm using a 1.83Ghz Core Duo Macbook with 512Mb of Ram.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Running 2.0Ghz CD Blackbook with 2Gb RAM.... Ichat runs a bit slower... after entering text and sending... it takes a lil longer than usual for text to show up in the box. Aside from that, its seems stable.

3. Ibjr macrumors 6502a

Same problem. 1.8CD2 Macbook

4. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

I'm having problems with the reload feature, if i type a response, send it and then hit reload it asks me a question that I never used to get, i hate it

5. Fahrwahr macrumors member

I noticed the same lag on my outgoing messages in iChat on my MacBook CD 2.0 with 1 GB of RAM. I used the included uninstaller package to go back to Safari 2.

Incidentally, I found out elsewhere that Netscape Navigator 9 is in beta, and unlike Netscape 8, it's cross-platform. I'm using it now, and it's a welcome change for the moment. I especially like that the search box allows me to choose my search engine, and I can actually remove the search box if I want it gone. (I know this can be done via third-party addons in Safari, but I prefer something that's extensible right off the bat.) I'm making it my default browser for the time being.

6. varcos macrumors newbie

Same here as well

Same here as well, and I'm using a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5.

7. nslyax macrumors regular

I have the same problem in my G3 800 iBook, as does a friend on his 2.16 MBP

8. aaagat111 macrumors regular

aaagat111

Same Problem

My problem is that I type a message and it will take a whole 30 seconds to send, even if the msg is one character long.

Powerbook 15" 1.5GHZ

9. bbardlbradd macrumors newbie

Yes!!!

I downloaded Safari 3 as soon as it was available, and I found, for mac at least, it works really well... BUT, I too have this problem. When I try to send something, it'll take over 10 sec to actually display what was sent... then, today I had the same problem for INCOMING IMs... which was really annoying. I hope Apple fixes this ASAP.