Safari 4.0 - No option to have new windows open in tab?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clarksonknight, Jun 14, 2009.

1. clarksonknight macrumors regular

Just trying out Safari, as I've been a Firefox diehard for the last few years. The new Safari is slick, but it's maddening that when a hyperlink requests a new window (such as clicking Google Reader from within Gmail), there doesn't seem to be a way to assign this action to default into a new tab. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've been creeping through the preferences and I can't find it. I hate to be forced to right-click or command-click for this behavior!

2. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

3. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I had the same issue. This fixed it.

Open Terminal.app (Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal). Then enter the following:
    defaults write com.apple.Safari TargetedClicksCreateTabs -bool true

Then restart Safari.

4. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

This also drives me insane. Why doesn't Apple just make this an option? I found a workaround quite a long time ago that just opens everything in a new tab by default- search around here and you'll find it I'm sure. Other than that Safari IMO is hard to beat if you're a Mac user.

5. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Cool, good to have this option back - down with new windows!

Now if we could get Google search in toolbar localised properly!

6. illitrate23 macrumors 6502a

illitrate23

i just click any hyperlink on a webpage with the middle mouse button - that automatically opens it in a tab instead of a new window (that's been the case certainly for all of Safari-3's life - not sure about version 2)

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I have never liked Safari since I used version 2, and while this is the best one so far, it can't do some of the things FireFox can do. So, I am sticking with Firefox beta4. Although I love the ability to have your homepage load when you open a new tab like IE7. The FF add-on does not work with beta 4.

Not everyone has a middle mouse button or is using a mouse.

8. clarksonknight thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome tip! I wish I knew a little more about scripting on the Mac so I could dig up little tweaks like these.

Another frustration: When I hit reply in Gmail, even though it shows a cursor in the reply text box, it apparently doesn't get focus until you actually click in the box. In FF, I hit reply and start typing, in Safari 4, I hit reply and start typing and crazy stuff happens depending on what I type. Any workaround for this, or am I forced to actually click or tab over to the text box?

9. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I try entering this in Terminal, restart Firefox, and links still open in a new window from the Mail app. Is this command supposed to make links from other programs open in a new tab, or only links from inside Safari?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

are you talking about safari? or firefox?

11. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Sorry, I did mean Safari.:confused:

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is an safari plugin called "safaristand", which might help.

13. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I'll check it out. Thanks

14. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

That fixes only links from inside Safari, but what you want is easily fixed in preferences.

Preferences>General>Open links from applications>check "in a new tab in the current window"

15. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Thats what I needed, thanks. I looked there to, but didn't see that down at the bottom.

16. jon08 macrumors 68000

Let me borrow this thread for a quick question:

On some forums when I use the middle button on my mouse to open threads, it will then open that thread in a tab, yet automatically shift the current tab to that thread as well. It only happens on certain forums tho (NOT on MacRumors), why? (I'm using Safari 4.0.1)