Safari 4 a few weeks on Top Sites is a waste of time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by needthephone, Apr 18, 2009.

1. needthephone macrumors 6502a

I use safari 4 but some of the highly lauded features I have found I never use.

The main one being Top Sites.

It may look to be the killer feature but I have realised I never use it now. It's slow to load all those pages and the top sites there never seem to be what I want anyway. I haven't worked out how to customise it. Sorry apple but this is style of substance .

I bookmark sites in the main tool bar and select them from there.

I have also found lots of websites which it doesn't work on which is frustrating forcing me back to IE or firefox

2. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Hmm, for me it shows the pages I want and it loads instantly. Shame it's not working out for ya. :)

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

For me it never gave me my top sites properly, I can visit site daily and they get ignored, I will then go to some pages once and it appears as a top site.

sad to say but top sites has now gone the way of all the other new features in Safari 4, turned off or disabled

4. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

masterjedi73

I've found that top sites is slow, too...but I'm ditching my dsl service and going cable next week. maybe that will help.

5. budhadha macrumors newbie

For what it worth...
    There's an Edit button on the left bottom corner. You click on it and it let you delete sites you are not interested in and makes the ones you want to keep sticky. You can even order them the way you want.

Other than that, I agree that I don't really understand the logic behind. I had to delete a lot of sites I'm not interested in and never went before finding the sites I usually use. And than I made them sticky.

6. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

usually it just saves a thumbnail in your cache... unless you're clearing it often it doesnt make sense that it isn't loading quick? then again if you didn't customize it it could try to randomize up to 30 something pages...

7. budhadha macrumors newbie

In my case I always clean my cache, so that would explain the strange behavior...

8. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry when I said slow I meant slow to load the page once you click it.

It shows you the out of date thumb nail but when you click it the page seem s take along time to load.

Iv'e tried to edit it but the best I can do to try and get sites I want is to load them twice but that doesn't always work.

No, bookmarks on toolbar works for me.

9. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

I tend to agree that Top Sites is a waste. I also find it slow to load, and after a few weeks of use, I've turned off the feature, starting with new tabs.

10. Anthony A macrumors member

It's a rip off of Opera Speed Dial. It loads too slow and is a massive resource hog. Use it two or three times and Safari is at 300+ MB of ram which is ridiculous. I use a on line version that works on all browsers http://www.3x3links.com/ I use it on Safari and Firefox on a Mac and IE, Firefox, Google Chrome on Windows. For Opera I use the built in Speed Dial.

11. TheVendor macrumors member

I use Top Sites all the time and don't find it to be slow. I keep 11 of 12 stickied though, so it's more a folder of bookmarks than what it determines to be my most visited pages.

I'd thought it was a rip off of Chrome's Most Visited. Seems there's rip offs of rip offs going on in the browser wars. :p

12. Anthony A macrumors member

Opera was the first to have the thumbnails of pages and they called it Speed Dial. In no time there were several Firefox extensions doing the same thing. There are also may on line versions out as well. IE 8 also has a version and the new Firefox 3.5 will to. Google Chrome simply took the concept and added a few things and now Safari has put it on steroids. Safari's version is nice eye candy for sure but very resource hungry and slower than the other versions I use.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Which sites don't work in Safari? You do know that sites that only work in IE are actually proprietary and the sites for Safari are web standard? Firefox is a little of both... I haven't been to a single site that Safari can't open. Any version, 2 or 3 or even 4.

14. needthephone thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well one site which didn't work was the MS singapore one I used to order the mac version of MS Office-at work they were offering a use at home office for just $40. I had to go to IE thugh to get it to work properly. Iv'e also found other sites (adobe I think when I logged into look at my account)

Why do they need the thumbnails. Why not expand the tool bar in 2 dimensions so a favourites grid rather the tool bar. You run out of space on the bar but I LOVE the favourites tool bar!. This could be the top sites thing

They could put the favicon if they want but it would be fast and clean and above all make it user configureable. OK start it with the frequently used sites but allow us to configure it as we want. So it could look like the iphone screen when you save web pages to the home screen- just nice little quick buttons. Don't try and be too clever.

Keep it simple.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

exactly, my netbook screen is so small, thumbnail is just a waste of space. So this is what I got.

Attached Files:

• 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      100.8 KB
      Views:
  16. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I don't care for Top Sites.

I do like Safari 4, though. Only using it on Windows at the moment (Safari 3 on Windows was unbearable, hence the early upgrade) but it's riddled with bugs. Not so bad that I've had to ditch it, but bad. I'd have liked to see much more frequent updates from Apple!

17. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

Until now Safari 4 is the best browser for me :)

18. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Top Sites is fine for me, I have 6 sites I visit frequently, so I just made them permanent on there, placed them where i wanted them and made the thumbnails large :) The only thing I dislike about safari is that the firefox shortcuts sometimes don't work with it, or even simple ones like F5 = Refresh

19. omeletpants macrumors regular

I installed Safari 4 about 5 weeks ago and it was slow and buggy. Have they made any revisions lately?