Safari 4 Beta: Am I the only one who likes it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Mar 5, 2009.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I really like Safari 4 Beta. Its really good for me compared to Safari 3 and much faster than Firefox in most tasks. I even like the new tabs.

Your thoughts?

2. BFrench macrumors newbie

Nope, I like it as well, including the tabs. The only thing I'm not struck on is the lack of a decent visual clue that your click worked and a page is loading.

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Agreed. I love it overall, especially the Top Sites feature, but I wish it was a little more obvious that a page was loading. Just having the little spinner isn't visual enough, especially on a 24" screen where it's actually only in my peripheral vision. I submitted a feature request to have the blue bar added back, I suggest you do the same. Hopefully they'll listen.

jW

4. mik34 macrumors member

No, I like it too. The only thing that I don't like it they've removed the ability to delete recent searches in the toolbar. I used that a lot, so no one else can see what I recently searched.

5. daisun macrumors newbie

I agree, they should really bring back the blue loading bar or some sort of loading bar. Sometimes i find myself clicking and reclicking links thinking it didn't detect my tap on the touchpad. I've heard about problems with hotmail and msn messenger for mac after installing safari 4. In msn messenger it causes the conversation box to deselect everytime you hit 'return' to send a message.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I like it a lot, especially since I did the terminal command that moved the tabs back below the address bar.

I don't really notice not having an indicator of the page loading because the speed improvement makes almost all websites come up in a second or two.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I'm a big fan. Love the new tabs and the new layout.
    On my 13" i LOVE the extra browsing space :D

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're definitely not the only one. I love the speed. The new UI is okay - I don't understand the rationale behind the change but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Top Sites is REALLY cool.

9. danb77 macrumors 6502

The GLIMS plugin has this feature, plus many more... install it!

10. danb77 macrumors 6502

PS I love Safari 4!

I am a *long*-time Firefox user (e.g. since Mosaic days!!!) and this is the first time (since the Netscape Aol doldrums years) that I have switched to another browser for my day-to-day web stuff. The performance is stunning, and with GLIMS and Safari Adblock running, all my favourite features from Firefox are there.

11. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i do like safari4 muuuuuch more than 3...but i still get faster performance from firefox.

12. Miker2k macrumors regular

Love Safari 4. I use it as my primary browser for the most part. I would love to see a progress bar of some sort though.

13. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

I love it and lost it when I installed 10.5.7, anyone know how to install S4 on that or SL... please...

14. Turmoil macrumors regular

I like it. It's the only browswer I've been using since it came out.

15. danb77 macrumors 6502

Really? Firefox rather plods on my MacBook, and really slows down the system on sleep/wake. This was bad in 3.0 but worse with the new betas.

Also, for general browsing Safari 4 feels, well, snappier!

16. LiquidSpikes macrumors regular

LiquidSpikes

Loveeee Ittttt

I love it! and I totally hated Safari 3.. so very much! :mad:

I never thought I was going to ever like any version of safari...

But yet again Apple :apple: surprised me :D

the only issue I have experienced so far is some minor issues with Gmail. other than that is been, crazy fast and very easy to use. :D

I cannot wait until the final version ;)

17. Diaresi macrumors regular

I really like it, it seems quick and very fluid to use.

What I don't like though is all this "fluff" Apple are adding to it. Coverflow is just plain pointless, and getting all the previews of pages creates another process that uses up your RAM, CPU and connection for no real benefit.

It's a true definition of bloat :(

18. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I'm testing out right now and I think it's a major improvement over Safari 3, but it really needs an ad blocker and changeable search engines. Otherwise, I like it, but it hasn't wowed me enough to switch from Camino.

19. joshbing macrumors member

joshbing

20. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

If you click on view and select status bar it will givie you something close. At the bottom of the page it tells you what it's doing. No loading bar, but will say " contacting so and so" " Loading 38 of 116 items" and such

21. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

I didn't really care for Safari until 4 came out. I actually prefer it over Firefox now. I agree with the blue load bar, and the tabs are pretty cool.

Do you think there will be many changes between the beta and official release?

22. xerenthar macrumors 6502

Multiple tabs on startup / Session Saver / Home page as previous session....any way to do this? i like it OTHER than this

23. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

I HATED the new tabs when I first opened it. My first reaction was wtf. I personally hope they apply the top sites to the entire favorites folder. I love it now but it seems crippled not being able to manage it more than just pinning sites to it. It would be great to add folders to it.

24. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Now I use Safari 4 as my main browser and like danb77 am a long time fan of the Mozilla line. Still hit the wrong part of the tab at times though.

25. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

I miss the reload button (unless I'm not seeing it) and that was the first thing my 8 year old said when he saddled up to try it out, oh and he wanted to know about the "spider button":D