Safari 4, looking good! I just might turn my back on Firefox!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomahawk, Feb 26, 2009.

1. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

I have noticed a lot of "speedy" differences on compared to firefox lately. however there may be some glitches and bugs but the overall performance is outstanding!
    I do like that idea of putting the tabs on the top. but i rather have it underneath my address bar. or where it was before originally. its kinda awkard sorta, and sometimes i want to move my window around and i end up switching to another tab so we'll see later.
    other than that im seriously thinking about ditching my beloved firefox whom i have been with for the past 5 years ever since i got my 1st computer. haha

2. tecknical macrumors regular

meh, i'll stick with minefield for the time being since its about the same speed as the safari 4 beta. that awesome bar is breaking the deal for me on switching to safari full time right now.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I'll stick with Firefox as well. For me it's the CMD+Number to jump to a specific tab, the awesome bar and of course my beloved add-ons.

4. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

Personally i love Safari 4. I can only imagine it being faster, and smoother as the final release comes. Safari 4 FEELS , LOOKS, and ACTS like i think a browser should be in 2009.

I have been forcing my self to use the tabs on top feature, and even though i am not fully convinced, i am growing to it. Its not bad, its just a change i was not used to.

i love the top sites feature. More or less to see which page is updated at a glance, very helpful. I have also used my history more than i ever have with cover flow in the history. I never used coverflow in the finder (perfer columns) and have been useing grid view in iTunes since the new iTunes came out.

Safari is definitly fast, has a very classy look to it, and has all of the functionality i need in a browser. Now if only inquisitor could be updated for safari 4...

5. Whiteman007 macrumors member

I would switch IF there was a way to save my tabs if safari crashes. I use Firefox 2 becasue i hate 3 and in firefox 2 if you force quit it next time you start firefox you can restore your tabs.

6. MSTRKRFT macrumors regular

Doesn't going to History>Reopen Tabs from last session. Do what you need?

7. si77hay macrumors regular

Safari 4 is definitely coming along, and the eyecandy of the Top Sites certainly is tempting, but...I simply have too many Firefox Addons installed that I can't live without, and Safari doesn't have.

I'm pleased that is now my ONLY reason for not "switching".

8. DarthBradicus macrumors member

You can restore your tabs/windows from your last Safari session, whether Safari crashes or not: History --> Reopen All Windows From Last Session.

9. knightlie macrumors 6502a

I've switched for now; I miss FlashBlock most of all, but there's nothing missing that I can't learn to live without. Firefox is getting more unstable for me and often has trouble viewing the site I visit most, trying to download PHP pages instead of view them (which was first reported back in 2004, so much for open source getting bugs fixed). And Safari is way faster than FF.

10. Whiteman007 macrumors member

Yes thats what i wanted never saw that thank you.

11. MSTRKRFT macrumors regular

Your welcome. Now can show me to some safari add ons that work for Safari 4.

12. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Google's Gears is one addon that works with Safari 4. ;)

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

It has been very buggy for me FF 3 , one 'bug' for instance the clear private data screen, it appears when I start the App:confused: , along with when I close it (as it should do)
    I'd use Safari all day every day if they had similar to add ons , I doubt Apple will ever do something like addons , shame really.

14. Zyniker macrumors 6502

There are some 'enhancements' available for Safari...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

15. Zyniker macrumors 6502

http://pimpmysafari.com/ ;)

16. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't look at delivering an API for 3rd party add-ons for Safari if enough people expressed an interest in having them. They've even started bringing back matte screens on laptops because people told them that's what they wanted. :rolleyes:

17. Jookbox macrumors 6502

wow, i love the new Safari, but i'm also staying with firefox for now. i'm just accustomed to several addons.