Safari 4: Where's the three finger swipe down and up? Didn't you invent multi-touch?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luke1robb, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Somehow Safari 4, Apple's browser doesn't support a three finger swipe down and up, yet Minefield, Firefox's new browser does. Is this ironic to anyone else seeing as Apple brought multi-touch to the market?

2. filman408 macrumors regular

Scrolling uses, and always had, used 2 fingers.
    Back|Forward (left|right) use three.

They both work in safari 4 for me.

3. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

3 fingers swipes are used for back/forward in safari (even safari 4)
    works fine for me...

only thing i'd like to see is switching safari tabs like in firefox 3 using the twirl motion on the trackpad...

4. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Clearly you guys didn't understand.

In Mozilla's Minefield (3.2a1pre) you can 3 finger swipe down to go to the bottom of the page and vice versa. Also, you can twist two fingers and change tabs.

NEITHER of these gestures are available in Safari 4 Beta, why? Apple created multi-touch, they should just copy Minefield.

5. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Clearly YOU don't understand.

Why should Apple implement anything just for YOUR special needs?

If you don't like Safari 4, there is a simple solution... keep using Firefox.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i guess once mozilla figured out the work around of the hidden api in apple, they just use it to the max. while apple likes to give you bit by bit....

Guess.

7. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

My thought was that maybe Apple would add it because its a cool and extremely useful feature. I like Safari 4, but it needs this feature. Is it really that hard?

8. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Clearly you are very rude.

It was obvious that people misunderstood OP meant the UP and DOWN 3finger swipe.

It is indeed strange that Safari doesn't use the twist and the 3 finger swipe.

I've configured Firefox 3 so the up/down swipe switches tabs and the twist sends me to the top or bottom of a page. It's hard to live without it!

Some websites work better on Safari so I like using both browsers, but Safari is just a handicapped experience compared to the swiping goodness of Firefox.

9. Jonathan_W macrumors member

You can implement the three finger swipe up and down gestures for Safari by using MultiClutch :)

10. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Last I checked MultiClutch only works for MBA and not the new Macbooks?

11. Jonathan_W macrumors member

12. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Works fine on my unibody MacBook too.

13. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I'd like to see a three-finger click to open a link in a new tab.

14. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Agreed, why does 1,2 and 4 finger click have a function but not 3 finger?

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Theres only a 4 finger swipe but not a 4 finger click:

1 finger click - normal clicking
    2 fingers - secondary click (click) /scrolling (vertical swipe)
    3 fingers - back/forward (horizontal swipe)
    4 fingers - expose (vertical swipe down) / desktop (vertical swipe up) / switch apps (horizontal swipe)

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

then download multi clutch.

i used three finger up to create a new tab (command+T) and three finger down to close the tab (command+w) however it got in the way more often than not.

plus it's faster to just do the keyboard command. try it if you want but it will definitely get in the way more than once.

with that being said, in Mail, i use 3 finger swipe up to get new mail, and in garage band to go back to the beginning or end of a track

17. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

There is a 4 finger click. When you do a 4 finger swipe left to bring up the application switch you click with 4 fingers to do the switch. 4 finger left (or right) + 4 finger click is the same as command+tab.

I think you misread him, he wanted a 3 finger click not the swipe :)

I use swipe up and down to switch between tabs, the twist isn't reliable enough for that I think, so I use the twist for going to the top/bottom of a page.

18. JCastro macrumors 6502a

I did not understand the OP's post either. I thought that somehow it was there then it was gone with that last update or what ever. I was trying to remember if I had ever known about or used a three finger up and down swipe before. I might have to check in to Multiclutch though. It sounds like it could be very useful.

19. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I think that you're going to have to wait 'til Snow Leopard to come out to see advanced features in not only safari but throughout the whole OS. As was said before just use apps like multiclutch.

More importantly than what you mentioned, I would like to see some features like Mondo Mouse has. Like:

CMD+pinch= resize window
    CMD+2 finger swipe= move window

20. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i really enjoy the three finger up/down swipe in firefox 3.5 and didnt think it was necessary until i had it.

i do see the humor in how before the latest firefox betas, in order to get the gestures found in safari you had to use multiclutch but now safari users have to use multiclutch to get all the gestures found in firefox. :D

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why is it you think they would implement those specific gestures?

22. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

because once you use it you realize its useful. have you tried it?

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What I'm saying is why those specific gestures? If Apple throws in some different ones that are more intuitive (I think they want to keep the 3 finger swipes for things like forward and backward) I'd choose to go with those. I was simply asking why its these specific gestures or bust.

24. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

3 finger swipes to the right/left are used for forward/back but 3 finger swipes up/down are currently not mapped to a gesture. ultimately there should probably be a tab in preferences that allows the user to map their own gestures.

dont forget that snow leopard will likely bring 4 finger swipes so you will have 4 finger right/left and up/down eventually too.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Isnt 4 finger up (or down) do expose right now??:confused: