Safari 5.1 switching tabs by keyboard broken for anyone else? (Lion and SL)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by llirik, Jul 24, 2011.

1. llirik macrumors member

llirik

Hey there,

I upgraded to Lion and find that I can no longer switch between tabs. Neither using > < (. ,) or my own keyboards (Cmd+Left/right arrow). Looking into the "window" tab in safari, I see the shortcuts listed... but it is being overridden it seems and simply acts as "back" and "forward" for the web pages (even tho the shortcut listed is Cmd + [).

I am experience this both on Lion AND on snow leopard after upgrading to Safari 5.1.

Is anybody else having this issue?

2. spokes1124 macrumors member

This kinda sucks, but in order to switch thru tabs in Safari, you do Command, Shift and ] or [

I am not a huge fan of this but hopefully they make it somewhat easier to deal with and soon.

3. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Try using Control+Tab to switch tabs. This is more in line with Command+Tab for switching between apps and actually makes much more sense than the other keyboard combos.

4. llirik thread starter macrumors member

llirik

I'm not only used to Cmd + Arrow, it's also still the default behaviour in some other apps like Adium.

5. ALoveSupreme macrumors member

Command + Shift + Arrow Keys

Thats how i have always been switching Tabs in Safari.
    It still works for me in Safari 5.1 running on OS X Lion.

6. llirik thread starter macrumors member

llirik

I'm using that at the moment, but its not convenient as it requires both hands. It's much easier to just use the right hand to do Cmd + Arrow.

7. robotphood macrumors 6502a

Looks like only cmd+shift+[ works for firefox. I use bettertouchtool and assign back/forward hotkeys to 3 finger swipe left/right. Also cmd + 3 finger swipe for switching tabs left/right. A lot more convenient since you don't rarely have to take your hand off the touchpad.

8. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

9. llirik thread starter macrumors member

llirik

nope. not working at all here

10. PrinceSmooth macrumors newbie

I'm using control + tab to go forward (right) and control + shift + tab to go backward (left)

cmd +arrows show previous and next pages

Make sure you have the most updated version...

11. artguy3d macrumors member

Safari 5.1 seems to me to be the worst and most buggy release of Safari I've seen in about five years.

I use Safari 99% of the time and was able to get back to the 5.0.5 version only by going back to Snow Leopard.

Best advice I have is to skip this release if you can and wait for the next version which will hopefully fix this and some of the rather severe cookie problems.

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've always used that combo in Safari. It's the easiest to reach/most natural for me.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I've been using Glims for years. One of it's features is tab switching using the "," key to switch to the left tabs and the "." key to switch to the right tabs. No need to combo with the Command or Control key..... just those keys alone. It's a great feature.

You can find it here: http://www.machangout.com/

Another great feature is being able to run Safari in full screen mode. I know that was taken care of in Lion, but I'm still running SL, and I've been able to run Safari in full screen mode for years already.

14. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

You could simply change to shortcuts to whatever you want to in System Preferences.

15. llirik thread starter macrumors member

llirik

Yup, first thing I did. No go... does not recognize the short cut of Cmd+Arrow. The page forward/back still overrides it and I cant find a workaround.

16. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Mmm, yes I see what you mean... but cmd left/right aren't really great choices for shortcuts. They're already in use by every app that accepts text for moving the cursor to the start or end of a line of text. It's strange that Apple have also locked them to forward/back in Safari because if a text field is selected in a web page, they no longer work as forward/back.

17. klatt macrumors newbie

I used to use this same shortcut. I find it really weird that it when set up as a custom shortcut it works SOMETIMES but not all the time. I can't figure out any similarity between the cases where it works or does not...