Safari 5 and Snow Leopard Security Updates

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thundersteele, Sep 24, 2012.

1. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Not exactly sure where to put this, so I put it in the general OSX section.

I was wondering if Apple was still issuing security updates for Safari 5 (5.1.7) and Snow Leopard in general.

I know that there are a number of security issues with Safari 6.0 that are being fixed with the 6.0.1 update (my workplace sends me security advisories about that kind of stuff). Similarly they recommend that I upgrade to 10.7.5 on my Lion machine.

What I am concerned about is whether those issues are also present in Safari 5 and/or Snow Leopard, and more general, whether I should upgrade all machines to at least Lion to get regular security updates.

Thanks

PS: Unfortunately the reason I am concerned is a phishing email that had just too much correct information... and I'm trying to figure out how that information was obtained.

2. thundersteele thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, turns out the too good phishing email was not a scam, but actually came from the bank.

I would still like to know if SL still gets security updates, or if the release of ML ended that?

3. petisjioweelsha macrumors member

Generally, Apple only provides security updates for the current and one previous OS versions. So that would mean that 10.6 is now unsupported.

However, they did just release Security Update 2012-004 on September 19, 2012 specifically for 10.6, thus breaking the above policy. I'm not sure if this signals the beginning of a new policy or if it was just a one time thing.

The 2012-004 update patched a number of system vulnerabilities, but as far as I can tell, it did not address the Safari/Webkit issues that were fixed in Safari 6.0/6/1. Safari on Snow Leopard is still at 5.1.7 and Safari 6.x is only available for Lion and Mountain Lion.

So, what we seem to have now is a partially patched situation for Snow Leopard with Safari seemingly left unpatched.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Use Firefox! ;-)