Safari 6.0 running on Mountain Lion SLLLLLLLLLOW!! SLOW!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JodyK, Aug 23, 2012.

1. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Times where is just seems like the browser is stalled out completely. This is happening across 3 of my Macs and also on my wives' MB Air.

Firefox is running like a champ! Got to where I was really loved Safari over Firefox big time because of all the gesture support. Now the last few days I have had to run Firefox.

Anyone else having this happen???

Is Apple aware? Known cause of problem (running with Java ... Flash etc)??? Fix coming?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For security purposes, unless you're visiting a site that requires it, leave Java (not JavaScript) disabled in Safari. If you're visiting sites with Flash content, that could be a cause. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Also, check to see if any extensions may be causing problems.

1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No issues here for me on my MBA with Safari
    I actually changed from Chrome because it was quicker

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check the information I posted about Flash, and did you try disabling your extensions?

Also, I see you're running antivirus. While you can if you want, it's not necessary to keep your Mac malware-free, as long as you practice safe computing. For details: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

Also, I see you're running iCleanMemory, which is not necessary at all. In fact, it can degrade performance in certain situations. I recommend you uninstall it.

In fact, it would be helpful for you to list what all you have automatically launching on startup. Check the following locations:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

5. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Are you also on Mountain Lion and running 6.0??

By the way see your a UGA fan ... I live in Woodstock! GO DAWGS!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, Mountain Lion and 6.0
    No issues with Safari for me, it is very responsive
    I had moved to Chrome for a good while because of some memory problems with Safari

But now, I have nothing but good experiences with Safari

Go Dawgs, sic 'em, woof, woof, woof [​IMG]

7. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Running this in Parallels ... not on the Mac side.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Gotcha. That wasn't clear in the screen shot.

9. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Do you have any SIMBL based plugins installed?

These often create issues when Safari is updated.

10. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Not that I know of

11. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

What plugins/extensions do you have installed?

What plugins aren't Safari extensions so not show in the extension tab of Safari preferences?