Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As seen in screenshots obtained by MacRumors in 2019, Apple's long-rumored AirTags items trackers are expected to be managed through the Find My app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Now, any user can get an early look at this tab.

find-my-app-safari-post.jpg

MacRumors reader David Chu today alerted us that the hidden "Items" tab in the Find My app can be enabled on an iPhone or iPad by typing in the link findmy://items in Safari on devices running iOS 14.3 or iPadOS 14.3 or later. After entering the URL, a prompt appears that directs users to the hidden tab in the Find My app.

Users can also enter the URL in Safari on macOS 11.1 and view the hidden "Items" text in the Find My app on a Mac.

find-my-items-mac.jpg

While the URL is more convenient and works for anyone, registered Apple developers can also enable the "Items" tab on an iPhone under Settings > Developer > Display Items Tab. This toggle appears on iOS 14.3 and later.

Similar to Tile, AirTags are expected to help users keep track of their personal belongings, such as their keys, wallets, and backpacks, with users receiving a push notification on their Apple devices when they are separated from a tagged item. AirTags are expected to support Ultra Wideband for improved location accuracy, with helpful augmented reality functionality through the Find My app for locating misplaced items.

At WWDC 2020, Apple announced that the Find My app will also support finding third-party products and accessories, and the hidden "Items" tab is expected to be used for this too. Earlier this week, Belkin unveiled new Soundform wireless earphones with Find My compatibility that are set to launch in March or April.

Apple accidentally referenced AirTags in a YouTube video last April, so we know this accessory is the real deal, but an exact release date still remains up in the air. Apple typically holds its first event of a year in March, but with in-person events not being hosted any time soon, a virtual event or press release is possible at any time.

Article Link: Safari Allows Users to Enable Hidden 'Items' Tab in 'Find My' App Ahead of AirTags Launch

Last edited:

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Looking forward to this. I haven’t been following closely, but do these allow tracking anywhere across the world by using other iPhone devices to locate. I thought I remember some company offering that or was going to offer it. That would be ideal to hide these on important property like cars, RZRs etc and be able to find it like LoJack.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Maybe they should have called it vapor ware tags. ;)

I should walking into the apple store and run the searching scan.:cool:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
just get on with it and release them...god knows what they are waiting for

these have been rumoured for a Long time meanwhile samsung will announce theirs tomorrow for gods sake

applefanboysince93

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2018
just get on with it and release them...god knows what they are waiting for

these have been rumoured for a Long time meanwhile samsung will announce theirs tomorrow for gods sake
I wouldn’t be surprised if this is what’s getting announced today on CBS This Morning or whatever morning show that was referenced yesterday stating that Tim Cook was coming on the show to make a big announcement?!

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Is the word Airtags mentioned there? It appears to be part of the 3rd party integration offered as a dev preview mid 2020.

View attachment 1711984

I notice typing airtags give the red spelling underline, as does AirTahs, but not AirTags on iOS. So....
C3DEE57C-169D-419D-B114-F6DA747F2738.jpeg

From the wording, at least on the German interface, it sounds more like a feature that can be enabled for 3rd parties? Maybe they gave up on their own cuz they couldn’t get it right

I think it’s both. Enabling 3rd parties is likely to prevent any regulators getting engaged.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I agree with him less and less by the day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Prosser is right here, and the reason we haven’t seen these is because, even though they’ve been done for months, apple doesn’t wanna release “trackers for lost items” when millions and millions of people are literally stuck in their houses.
It would’ve been just like the original Apple TV launch, wrong place, wrong time.

drew.bowser

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2008
Missouri
I agree with him less and less by the day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Prosser is right here, and the reason we haven’t seen these is because, even though they’ve been done for months, apple doesn’t wanna release “trackers for lost items” when millions and millions of people are literally stuck in their houses.
It would’ve been just like the original Apple TV launch, wrong place, wrong time.
And im here just wanting them to find my car keys and Apple TV remote... In my house.

Reactions: Si Vis Pacem

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
This is perhaps the most-leaked Apple product of all time.
At this point, they should just announce it and release it in a few weeks if it's not 100% ready.

Reactions: ScreenSavers
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.