Safari always goes to mobile site, even when instructed not to

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rusty2192, Aug 12, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Has anyone else been having problems with Safari constantly defaulting to the mobile version of websites, even after clicking on the full website link? In some cases, i click on the full website link and as soon as it tries loading that, it gets redirected to the mobile page. It will always repeat this and never go to the full website. This is on an iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. I never had this problem with my 3GS.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Nothing unusual in that - most mobile 'phones behave that way. Just scroll to the bottom of the relevant page and click on the "normal" format.

3. TW95 macrumors member

This is because your iPhone's unique Internet Protocol Address sends a packet that tells the site you are viewing from a mobile site. You then get sent to the mobile format site. The reason is because it uses less data and takes less time to load.

4. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I understand why it goes there the first time. What's unusual is that even when I scroll down and click the "normal" link, it doesn't take me there, it forces me right back to the mobile page again.

5. TW95 macrumors member

Read my post

6. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Yes, 'fraid you're right there! Personally, I've usually found that Safari will, when instructed, display the normal web format.