Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2001
Its been noted that Flash websites have had poor framerate performance when being viewed via Safari. I have noticed this (being a semi-flash developer myself) and I think I may know why.

There isnt an available flash plugin for Safari. I downloaded the Flash PLayer from Macromedia, and it installed a plugin for every available browser but Safari. (Duh, its new....)

SO.....to get to the point, Safari probably doesnt use Flash Player to view flash sites, but Quicktime instead. Quicktime (last time I checked) only supports the Flash 4 player, not 5 or 6 (which have demonstrated drastic advancements in playback speed)

Hopefully, Macromedia will provide Flash Player 6 to be usable with Safari so it can truly play Flash movies via Flash Player. Im confident it will make it into the v1.0 version. (hope so!!!)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
According to David Hyatts (sp?) weblog this has already been fixed in internal Apple builds since Safari was released yesterday!

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
No, this has been fixed internally, but there has been no new release of Safari. In his weblog I think there is a patch to do something to Safari, but not addressing this particular point. Check out his weblog for up to date news about Safari

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
"Various members of the Flash community have been reporting low frame rates when using Flash in Safari. I'm pleased to report that we have corrected the problem. The issue was not in WebCore, so I can't post a patch, but the issue has been addressed." -From Hyatt's weblog

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.