Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tim Flynn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2003
Alberta
What options are there out there for ftp'ing when clicking on a ftp link on a html page viewed with Safari.
I am trying a simple link : "ftp://192.168.1.200/cflash/data.log"
When I do it in IE, I get a popup window for username and password, then it downloads the file. Just what I'd like.
Doesn't work in Safari.
Do I have Options ?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I don't think Safari directly handles ftp like IE does. Safari redirects ftp to the Finder. You would normally get an authentication dialog in the finder, and the FTP would mount as a network disk in the Finder. Unfortunaltly, the Finder still doesn't handle FTP very well, so if it doesn't work, your stuck with IE.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think safari 2.0 should have a built in FTP client.

i think it would be a great idea, although it might make it a bit more bloated like IE.:rolleyes:

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i think safari 2.0 should have a built in FTP client.
I don't think this is the answer. I think Apple needs to finally resolve the ftp issues with the Finder. We're on our 5th revision of Mac OS X, and we still can't do something as simple as ftp with reliability and consistency.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I started using HTTP instead, but presently my data loads into a window. I need it to download into the download directory. I should put in the header that its not plain text. Perhaps if I package it as a Mac file of sorts, the Mac will automatically open the correct App.

Anyone with experience send a Mac file from a Linux server?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think the issue is not which operating system (e.g., Linux), but which web server software (e.g., Apache). You probably just need to set up your web server software so the proper MIME type is associated with your file extension. What web server software are you using?

By the way, does Tim Flynn = Flynnstone or are there two people asking about this?

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Same person, work & home. I should figure out how to combine the two.

I am using an embedded PowerPC running Hardhat Linux. It's IBM 405GP , the web server is GoAhead Web server. I am limited by memory (to a certain extent).
I can make my headers "say" what ever I want via cgi-bin. I generally do everything via perlscripts. If its simple, then just html.

Since I have this control and I'm like a bull in a china shop. I don't know what to use for the header and hence how to form the body.

Did I mention I generally write in "C" :D

So if my header is "plain/text" , Safari will load and display the page. Ok but the view is not all the useful.
If I set the header to something Safari won't "render", that better because it will just download. Best is to download and open up the corresponding App.

FTP works well with IE (Windows & Mac), but not Safari. Perhaps I should use IE until Safari catches up to properly support FTP?

P.S. I'm a switcher, do you know anything about fonts?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I believe that you want to replace "plain/text" (actually I think you mean "text/plain") with a type/subtype that represents the true type of the file being delivered. I've written C programs like this too.

For example, an MS Word document should use "application/msword" while an image might use "image/jpeg". A text file (data.log?), if it is really text, can be "text/plain" to view it in the web browser.

You can use MIME type "application/octet-stream" for a file to be treated as binary data (never displayed in the web browser, even if it's really just text).

For a big list of MIME types, see http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/ or look in file /etc/httpd/mime.types on your Mac.

Does your program deal with many types of files, in which case it needs a way to decide the proper MIME type, or would it be hardcoded in?

And what do you want to know about fonts? I may not know, but SOMEBODY surely will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.