Safari can´t find an email application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by germanix, Jan 23, 2010.

1. germanix macrumors member

Whenever I want to mail a Link to an Internet page, I click on "File" and then choose "mail Link to this page". Mail then opens with the Link included and I then email it to whoever I want. Since yesterday however I noticed that I can no longer do this. Whenever I want to mail a Link I get the following message:
    "An email message can´t be created to send the Link because Safari can´t find an email application"
    I tried a restart of the computer, I reset Safari but nothing helps. The problem persists. I checked with Firefox and here I have no problem to mail Links. Only Safari does not seem to be able to recognize that Mail is installed or cannot connect to Mail?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Not sure why this would be happening, but here's what I would try.

Download More Internet [direct download link], which is a System Preference pane that allows you to set what applications open from different websites.

[​IMG]

After installing it, go to System Preferences, click on More Internet. Go down to the protocol for "mailto" and ensure that it's set for Mail.

There's probably an easier way to do this, although I don't know how. This is the best shot I've got.

If it doesn't work, you can remove the More Internet pane from System Preferences by right-clicking its icon and clicking remove.

[​IMG]

3. germanix thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the quick response. I did what you suggested and "mail to" was set for "Mail", however this did not solve the problem. I still get the same error message when I try to send a Link. Thank you anyway, but it seems the problem lies somewhere else.

4. germanix thread starter macrumors member

Any other ideas anybody? This problem persists and I do not know how to fix this!

5. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

It sounds like the defaults have gone a bit awry for Mail.

Open Mail>Preference, go to General and make sure mail is the default. If it already is, change it to something else, close the preferences, open them again and change it back to Mail. Worth a go anyway.

6. germanix thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Denarius, your help was all I needed. I did what you suggested and now all works fine again. Thank you very much for your help. Have a nice day.

7. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

You're welcome! :)

8. jmuscato macrumors newbie

Thanks-worked fine.

This worked perfectly-thank you!

9. samcomet macrumors newbie

or one can simply navigate back to the Mail app if the link has been broken, from within the pref in Mail......