Safari cant show youtube movies anymore...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by micke1967, Mar 4, 2013.

1. micke1967 macrumors member

:apple:Hi since friday I cant watch youtube movies anymore due to an error with safari plug-ins...
    Does anyone know how to solve this??
    I have tried:
    1. uninstall flash player totally and then installed the latest version available
    2. I removed the java file from the finder to trash bin

The only thing that makes it possible for me to see youtube movies now is the little xtra plugin "click2flash"

I see that Apple have blocked all old flash...could that be related to my problem??

I also tried to install TUX player for Mac on friday and was in the install asked to install java which I did...However in the end TUX wasnt able to launch in OS X but tried reaching my VM Ware fusion instead...so I threw TUX in the trash bin...Could that perhaps be related to my issue??

Also I wanted TUX since its on windows a good litte free software that reads .gp5 files which are used for creating tabs for guitar.
    Now anyone know of the best software for Mac with that purpose??

And yes Im new on Mac coming from windows 3 weeks ago and I have had 2 really good weeks with my iMac and last week was more cumbersome needing to do really serious rearrangement on a big harddrive really did put finder to the test and I realize I need something more than just finder+xtra finder which is what I have now...perhaps Path Finder...

Anyway all help is thankfully accepted..
    best regards Micael from Sweden

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have you tried going to youtube and switch on html5 instead of flash.
    I had something similar and one of Safari's extensions blocked Flash, also see if you have the latest Flash Player.

3. micke1967 thread starter macrumors member

Hi I will try the html5 when I get home...how do I activate that??
    I definately have the latest flashplayer since i downloaded from adobes website and uninstalled the old flash and installed the new...

could there be something stored somewhere in safari that creates this issue??
    perhaps removing the safari preference file??

could one reinstall safari??
    and if so how?? by dragging safari to the trash bin and then download and reinstall a new fresh??
    on the other hand my iMac is 3 weeks old so...shouldnt be that much corrupted one would think..
    best regards micael

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Not all Youtube vids are HTML5 though so its kind of pot luck what you can and cant see.

5. anzio macrumors 6502

YouTube will fall back to HTML5 is Flash is not available. So it's weird that it's not working.

You can join the test by visiting http://youtube.com/html5

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Do NOT drag Safari to the trash, actually you can, it's still there but don't delete it, Safari is not a standalone download, AFAIK.

What extensions do you have, try disabling extensions first.

7. micke1967 thread starter macrumors member

strangest thing...when i logged on my iMac today and was about to start some serious error management...then youtube works again!!!
    And I dont have a clue why...maybe the change to the new flashplayer needed a night to decide huh..
    anyway many thanks for all kind help..
    best regards micael

8. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: Apple block, and Safari restart...

Hi micael of Sweden,

I don't know exactly what happened, but could it be that Apple blocked flash through their automatic update using Xprotect, which they actually did this week. This stopped your Safari from viewing the YouTube videos. You download the new flash (perhaps even done automatically), but you didn't restart your Safari, so even after the new flash was downloaded and installed, Safari still couldn't view flash videos since it was still using the Apple blocked version. When you logged out and then logged back in to your iMac, this stopped Safari and started a new Safari that then could use the newly installed flash, thereby allowing you to to once again (mysteriously) view YouTube videos without any apparent actions on your part.

...just a thought...

Regards,
    Switon

9. domdomegg macrumors newbie