Safari cause other applications freeze

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by h9826790, Oct 10, 2017.

1. h9826790, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

I've seen quite a few others reported Safari's issue here. However, I myself, have no Safari issue. On the other hand. I have Finder UI hang or DVDFab stop encoding (but not hang) issue.

In the last 2 weeks, if Finder freeze, I relaunch Finder. If DVDFab stop functioning, I restart DVDFab.

But today, DVDFab stop encoding again (in the middle of the process). I suddenly think how about if I quite Safari (I usually keep Safari open 24/7). And bingo, all strange issue gone. DVDFab continue to encode. No need to restart, no freeze, nothing.

Even I don't know why Safari has any relationship to a video encoding software. But at least I proved that Safari is the source of the issue (in my case).

If anyone has any strange issue in HS. You may try something totally unrelated. And at least try stop using Safari.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

Test it with a different web browser to see if it is indeed a Safari issue.

3. h9826790, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

h9826790 thread starter macrumors G5

h9826790

Chrome also opened 24/7. It has nothing to do with any abnormal behaviour up to this moment.

Firefox and Opera is under testing now. So far so good, but need few more days to confirm it the issue only stick to Safari.

Anyway, I will install Safari technology preview to test if it's better / worse.

4. macagain macrumors 6502

macagain

yep. and it's always when on dang facebook in safari.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I'd guess it's not a relationship between Safari and the video encoding software but that it's an issue with Safari when the CPU is maxed, which you're probably doing with DVDFab. That's probably the only time you're pushing your CPU to that degree.

You could somewhat test that theory by running a video conversion with Handbrake along with Safari as I think Handbrake is a pretty good CPU hog.

6. h9826790 thread starter macrumors G5

h9826790

Pretty sure you are right. I ofter run my CPU to 100% 24/7. Never has any issue before HS, but now, this version's Safari seems will cause abnormal behaviour when CPU stress to max. However, for unknown reason, the bug simply "pause" the other software, CPU stay very low usage. Once I close Safari, the other application can "continue" to work.

I basically use DVDFab in the last 2 weeks, but same behaviour when using FFMpeg. I have no need to run Handbrake / Adobe ME recently. But once I finish all the video encoding, I may open them up to further confirm the exact combination which cause issue is "High CPU usage + Safari opened".

7. h9826790 thread starter macrumors G5

h9826790

Use Safari Technology Preview for half day now, everything is good. No freeze for any abnormal issue. So, it can be used as a work around until Apple fix the Safari official release.