Safari crash at startup FIX...Hope it helps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dmilla_1, Jul 20, 2003.

  1. dmilla_1 macrumors newbie

    Jan 20, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I have been experiencing a familiar problem to alot of you....After an unexpected system crash (power outage) Safari (latest release) would not startup. A window would briefly appear then app would crash....I'm sure you've seen other similar posts. I will skip all of the hoops I jumped through that did not work (trust me, I tried everything short of a nuke and re-install of the system....which I actually did the last time this happened). Anyway, on to the fix:

    1. Create a new user...I called mine SafariTest. Log out and log back in as this new user. Safari should work under this new user, I've read other posts stating this and Safari did in fact work fine under this new user.
    ***Don't worry that is not the fix***
    2. Immediately launch Safari under this new user...try not to do anything else (as I said it should launch fine). Then quit right away, after page loads.
    3. Then perform a search for any file whos modification date is "today". Logic being that this will point to any files Safari uses to operate (keep in mind this is the first time Safari has launched under this user).
    4. You will get a list of maybe 80 or so items...sort them by "Date Modified" (most recent at top)....and bam! your looking at all of the files (and a few others) that Safari uses to of these is the culprit under your other/original user name. I will share the list of files I trashed, I did not have the patience to trash one at a time...though I have a few suspects on the offending file that was causing the problems. I trashed (keep in mind some of these may not appear, but most should):
    a) "safaritest" this file will match the short name of your new user that you just set up, it is held in the folder "Keychains". This may be the bad apple believe it or not, as it was close to being the most recently modified file.
    b) If it appears, also trash the file "History.plist"
    c) If it appears, also trash the file "Cookies.plist"
    d) Of course, trash the "" file (we've all already tried this one...but trash it anyway).
    e) Trash ""
    f) If it appears, also trash the file "Bookmarks.plist"
    g) Trash "". Another file I suspect of being the possible reason just a feeling.
    h) Trash file "". I also suspect this file as a possible culprit....based on some other posts that I have read.

    This worked for me...keep in mind in theory this should work for everyone (barring other issues like hardware problems...bad RAM etc.). If you follow these steps YOU CAN identify exactly what files Safari is modifying for its use. Perhaps the offending file will be different for some folks so please experiment with trashing other files if needed. If anyone has the patience please eliminate the files one by one, log out and back in as original user, try Safari, check results. Theoretically this would allow you to isolate the exact culprit.

    Hope this works for all...good luck and thanks!

  2. dmilla_1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jan 20, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    One Follow up to Safari Fix

    I neglected to mention one obvious, but crucial should be deleting said files while logged in as your original user (i.e. the user in which Safari is not working). Your simply using the newly created user to identify files Safari uses for operation...once again, good luck.
  3. NoBob62 macrumors newbie

    Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you very much.

    Only took a minute to find the files. Deleted them now it finally works.
  4. soulakop macrumors newbie

    Nov 13, 2007
    Thanks a lot. You are the best. Now safari works perfectly :)

Share This Page