Safari crashing even on new install of Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tobefirst, Nov 5, 2008.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

A friend of mine is having an issue with Safari constantly crashing. I don't know a ton of information about the problem, but I'm trying to help her out in any way I can. When she initially upgraded to Leopard is when the problem started. "Practically every time" she uses Safari, it would crash. She even went so far as to have Apple reinstall her operating system, and even on a fresh install, it is still crashing. She is using a Power Mac G5, although I'm not sure which one specifically.

I have advised her to run all of the system updates and make sure that everything is up-to-date, but I somehow don't think that is going to solve the problem, as it was crashing before.

Any possible ideas on what could be causing this, or a remedy to this issue? I've provided as much information as I know at this time. Thanks for your help.

2. Quint macrumors member

It's hard to determine exactly what the problem is with that information but here are some other things to try.
    Log in as a different user (or create one if necessary) and see if the problem exists in that account.
    Launch iTunes and see if you can connect to the iTunes store.

3. G-Com macrumors regular

Did you run Repair Permissions?

Did you run Repair Disk?

If not, do so. If you did, then try boot up into single user mode.

Restart, hold down Command+S

When the typing stops, type this:

/sbin/fsck -fy​

Press return.

Repeat until it says volume appears to be okay.

Type "reboot" (without quotes.)

You may need to repeat.

If this doesn't work, try reinstalling OS X.

4. ant-macyourself macrumors member

I know you said that a fresh copy of Leopard was installed, but what about uninstalling Safari itself and then reinstalling it via download at Apple's website? It's worth a shot.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Describe the "crash." Does Safari freeze up, or "unexpectedly quit?"

Are any other applications experiencing similar problems?

Describe the "fresh install" of OSX. Since the only actual options are an "archive and install" and "format and install," it would be helpful to know which one was performed.