Safari crashing three to four times a day, normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darbyclash34, Jan 23, 2009.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

Safari on my iPhone is crashing multiple times a day, everyday. No pattern can be found in terms of length of use, number of pages open, websites visited. Is this in any way close to normal? Thanks!

2. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

sometimes some apps may be running in the background, I reboot my phone every 2 weeks, this usually helps a lot.

3. rannddeee macrumors regular

Safari has been crashing often for me also, as well as all the other apps I've been using. I don't know if being jailbroken is causing the problems.

4. davyreins macrumors 6502

How can you tell if apps are running in the background? I've heard this mentioned a lot, but don't know if I have been experiencing this. Is this only a JB thing?

5. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Safari has been crashing on peoples iPhone since day one in version one of the iPhone. All you gotta do is search back to June of 2007 and you will see for yourself.

6. shadownddust macrumors member

I find that when apps in general crash a lot on my iphone, restarting def helps. Since some of the updates, apps have become a lot more stable, and only a select few crash more than once a day, if I'm using them heavily. Safari is usually one of them, but not as often as you say, unless I haven't restarted in a week or two.

7. darbyclash34 thread starter macrumors regular

Mine is jailbroken, so it's probably related. I just don't see how all of my other apps run great, my jailbroken apps don't cause me any problem, it's just safari. Only other issue is a screen weirdness where sometimes I need to lock and unlock the phone before the screen will come on.

Really, the only thing I like from jailbreaking is being able to keep a background on the screen and PDA net.

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

yap thats normaltheres no virtyal memory so iphone shut downs the app when running out of memory. more, iphone os sdk dont do the trace of objects on memory therebefore not preventing memory leaking by irresponsable apps.
    so when your available memory shrinks to a tiny number safari will shut down

9. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That has everything to do with it. I jailbroke my Touch and Safari crashed all the time. I restored it back to oem and worked w/out an issue. This is the reason I an reluctant to jailbreak my 3g iphone I just got.

10. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Safari also crashes for me pretty often, at minimum 1 time at day. I restaet my iPhone everyday (turn it off at night to save battery) and it dosen't seem to help.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I find it hilarious when people jailbreak their phones, then ask if the behaviour they're seeing is 'normal'. Especially when they don't mention anything about JBing in the original post.

12. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

He did conveniently leave that out...:D

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

There's an app in the app store called "FreeMemory" and it basically closes out all the background processes and apps. I use it when apps are crashing/lagging. Works like a charm.

It happens to non jailbroken iPhones too. Ironically it happened when trying to type this response the first time. :-/

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Your safari crashes 3 or 4 times every day?

15. slapppy macrumors 65816

Welcome to the Club

Two things can keep Safari crashing like theres no tomorrow. Heavy Flash driven ad site. Second, a badly written app that is somehow tied in to Safari. I remember when the NYT app caused Safari to crash every two minutes. Once NYT crashed, Safari would also crash constantly. Had to reboot delete New York Time app. The new version is more stable and no longer crashes.

16. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

On a good day, it crashes at least twice. Not jailbroken, never was.

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

You know ... I'm starting to notice a weird trend on these forums.

I'll casually mention my battery life "OMG NO WAY!! My battery only last 5 hours. And only when I don't use it!"
    I'll say how I don't use a case "OMG! I looked at my first iPhone and it shattered! I had to replace it 5 times!"
    I'll describe how I never drop any calls "OMG WHAT!?! I can't EVER complete a call! Not even one!"
    Or how my safari doesn't crash much "OMG!! Every day! At least twice a day it crashes for NO reason!"

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Nice observation...then don't post on here? Jesus.

19. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

People, more one time. Before installing something from cydia find out how much memory the service it will take. If you are not using SSH turn it off. The apps aren't crashing, iphone OS are shutting down those that wants to allocate more memory.

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

This isn't a JB issue I haven't JB and safari crashes for me, read my other post in this thread.

21. jlwillia macrumors regular

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Haha ... OK OK OK, I take it all back. No one says ANYTHING like that around here :rolleyes:

23. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Not my point. I do believe you're the one who's complaining about other people complaining, which makes a lot of sense.

24. ziggy3055 macrumors member

the above post talking about allocating memory when the phone is JB makes sense, try restoring your phone and see what happens.

25. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I had the same problem. I had too many apps taking up memory, delete some from cydia and app store. Worked for me.