Safari – drag and drop fetching an image from Google image search to desktop?

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Can anybody tell why with Safari – contrarily to Firefox and Chrome – I can't simply drag and drop an image from Google image search to my desktop / into my Music cover art window etc.? You can do so with the small preview thumbnail, but if you want the full resolution, you can't simply klick on it and drag and drop the version on the right, but have to follow the link to the website and manually find the image there.

Do I miss something? Is there a workaround/plugin? Thanks a lot in advance!

Ruggy

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2017
I don't know, probably a copyright thing, but a long time ago I gave up the hassle of trying to save images and I just have a 'Screenshot' icon in the dock. Screenshot is in applications if you don't know or you can find a link in Preview> file menu.
Once you've set it up then you can select what part of the image you want and in couple of clicks it's done, no hassle.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
This probably would be too many steps for me to get the image, especially in its original resolution – if there's no workaround, it would be easier and more comfortable for me to temporarily switch to Firefox or Chrome for a longer image search. Very strange though that Safari makes it so difficult – if a click on the image would at least direct you to the exact location, but you even have to search the homepage yourself where the original image is hidden. Well – it is the way it is I guess ... I am pretty sure, though, it was different in the past. Can't say if it changed with Mojave or earlier, but it used to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.