Safari freezes up when I'm trying to upload files to certain sites

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Siderz, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Siderz macrumors 6502a

This happens a lot on sites like Imgur, Tumblr, and Gfycat. Other sites like Dropbox, YouTube, and Twitter are perfectly fine.

It's extremely annoying, imagine I'm trying to upload a 2MB GIF to Imgur, sometimes I'll have to wait 5 goddamn minutes until it'll finally let me do anything, as in I can't even go to another tab, it just locks up. Not just GIFs, but if I'm uploading larger JPGs, smaller JPGs work quite quickly, I think it might be to do with file size.

But imagine I upload a 500MB file to Dropbox, it does it straight away, no problems whatsoever.

Presumably they have different ways of uploading and whatever Imgur is using isn't very Safari friendly. Sometimes I don't even bother using Safari, I start up Chrome and it'll work perfectly fine, I can't be waiting 5 minutes just to upload a file which should upload instantly.

Any idea what the problem could be? Is there a setting I can change? Does anyone else experience these problems?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I just did a test on Imgur and it seems to work okay for me. I did the drag into the browser method.

Do you maybe have an extension or something blocking access?

3. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

What kind of file and size?

Just tried it a few times and it wasn't too problematic, but with the one I attached it froze for a bit, try it for me please.

It doesn't seem to do it all the time, but seems to do it most of the time, and when I actually need it to be done quickly.

I feel like the file needs to be loaded into Safari or something, so I'll see it go super slow the first time, then it'll work like normal the second try and any try after that.

Attached Files:

• test.gif
      test.gif
      File size:
      476.7 KB
      Views:
  4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

My test was just a small JPG. I just did your GIF and when I drag and drop it into the window it beach balls for about six seconds, then I get the start upload button. After clicking that the file shoots up in just a few seconds with no problem.

http://imgur.com/GqC0NkB

5. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's exactly the problem I get, except that was a 500KB GIF, normally on bigger GIFs I'm waiting for ages.

Try this one, ~2MB, I just tried it on Imgur and it worked fine, but Tumblr made Safari freeze up.

Attached Files:

6. bobdamnit macrumors regular

I also did the drag and drop method into imgur in Safari.

No beachballs, no locking up. It uploaded perfectly.

http://imgur.com/8e67GHl

7. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I didn't get any beachballs for that either, which is why I suggested Tumblr

8. bobdamnit macrumors regular

My apologies. I did not see the Tumblr part.

Unfortunately, I cannot test that because I do not have a Tumblr, nor do I want one. Hopefully someone that has a Tumblr can help you test.

Again, I'm sorry.

9. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh no need to apologise, I wasn't angry, you still helped me by testing it on Imgur.

I feel as if Imgur's all of a sudden changed it or something to work better, but I still got a beachball earlier but it was very brief.

10. Siderz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Try and upload this file to Gfycat, definitely gives me problems.

Attached Files: