Safari is making me want to throw my MacBook out of my 3rd floor window!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tbone71491, Apr 15, 2009.

1. tbone71491 macrumors newbie

a few weeks ago my MacBook kept harassing me with its spinning beachball of death, so naturally, on my pristine MacBook that has NEVER had any such problem, i asked myself 'WTF!?'

i spent 5.5 hours on the phone with Apple Care, an hour at the Apple Store in SoHo, and weeks perusing the internet for possible cures for this Safari Debacle!

now, here i am, pleading for any help available! I am positive it is Safari that is causing the ruckus because i have now been using a combo of Opera and Firefox and the problems have subsided....I really do prefer safari to these and thus, i really want it back!

I bought the notebook in August of 08, have more than three quarters of the memory available and have already tried programs such as OnyX and Yasu (which didnt help, but did delete one of my important files!)

any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated

your's truly in frustration,

Trevor

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Have you tried Webkit?

And what version of Safari are you using? (Go to Safari>About Safari to check)

3. tbone71491 thread starter macrumors newbie

well i've deleted safari off of my computer because it has been so unbelievably frustrating but i can tell you i deleted and reinstalled the latest update of Safari 3.0 and then deleted and reinstalled Safari 4.0 as well...both were equally torturous

and no, i don't know what WebKit is but i will surely try it...im willing to do anything at this point

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If it's a new MacBook, there really shouldn't be any problems. Originally thought it was Safari 4 but you've tried both 4 and 3. What troubleshooting steps did you perform with AppleCare?

5. ebika macrumors 6502

I had a similar experience with safari on my late 08 mb as the op. Running the Onyx maintenance scripts helped immensely.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

7. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

8. tbone71491 thread starter macrumors newbie

have i tried a better browser like opera???

well, i guess that defines how you define 'better' lol

honestly, i positively despise opera because it is screwing up all of my formatting on websites

what exactly should i run on OnyX???

im kind of.......retarded? when it comes to computers which is why i switched to mac, they seemed a lot less 'high-maintenance' than my PC, so if anyone could give exact directions of what to do with OnyX that would be great....

OH! one more thing, if i make another User Account and download Safari to it, it works FINE...so only on my account is Safari acting up....

this is the part that i found extremely interesting

tomorrow, i am buying an external hard drive and reformatting my computer anyway, if that doesn't work then......................fml lol

thanks for the help everyone

9. vilim12 macrumors regular

your probably have the DNS trojan. Search for mac dns trojan removal

10. Sorkvild macrumors 6502

Check Activity Monitor when you get the spinning beachball and look for what may be maxing out the CPU (gonna guess Safari since that's what you have problems with). Try going to Safari - Reset Safari and see if that helps. Also try trashing Safri's plist file in /your user name/Library/Preferences.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

OP....

You know that there are alternative browsers for the Mac,
    not just Safari, right?? :rolleyes:

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you know you have eyes to read right?? :rolleyes:

he said he is using Firefox and opera for the time being

13. tbone71491 thread starter macrumors newbie

DNS trojan? explain more please...i originally thought it was a virus and got a mac virus protection App but it did nothing

and sorkvild-- ive done all of those and when i run Activities Monitor the CPU ranges from 98-100+ when the spinning ball shows up...otherwise it is in normal range (mind you that lasts for less than 10 seconds on good days)

and yeah, i know there are alternatives, im just saying i really do enjoy using Safari...its not the end of the world, i know, just a frustration.

14. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

A Trojan is a kind of malware.
    Usually, it won't delete any your files or cause you big trouble, but it might be what is causing you this irritating issue, as mentioned above. Once installed, a trojan horse might use of your Internet connection for it's own reasons.
    IF it is the case, there is a thread somewhere that explains how to remove it. Try doing a quick search and check if it works!

15. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

As another user mentioned, try resetting Safari. Then use Onyx.

1. Open Onyx
    2. Type in Password
    3. Select Automation Tab
    4. Make sure all boxes are checked
    5. Hit execute
    6. Sit back and relax as your computer gets fixed. :D

Let us know if that works.

16. tbone71491 thread starter macrumors newbie

no such luck.

still causing problems (if not more than before -_-)

heading to TekServe in the city tomorrow, hopefully they have an idea!

17. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

18. tbone71491 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, thats exactly what im doing...

i bought an external hard drive today, am backing my hard drive using SuperDuper! from Tek Serve, and will reformat it once the backup is finished...

i was originally going to use Time Machine but SuperDuper! creates clones of all of your files so you can back it up on other machines