Safari: Loads of trouble with some sites. What can I do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PrinceAlexander, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PrinceAlexander macrumors member

Hello all,

I'm running the latest edition of Safari. I live in South Korea. Those two things simply don't mix.

Many SK websites are not only "optimized" for IE, they simply don't work (or parts don't, anyway) with anything else. I've tried Firefox too. No joy. I don't know what, exactly, they're doing to these sites, but it sucks.

Is there anything I can do? Any other browsers that might work? Add-ons for Safari to improve the situation? ANYTHING?!?!?!

At this point I'm contemplating having to shell out for a copy of windows and a VM program JUST to be able to use IE to do some online shopping. It seems more than a little extreme! :mad:

2. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

hey mate, can u please give us some links of broken sites. that way other people can test. if we can see the site, it might be more to do with the way ur mac is set up.

cheers

EDIT: other broswers to try include opera and camino

3. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

4. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

I'll do my best. The problem is, if you don't speak Korean, it may be difficult.

For example:
    HTML:
    http://www.whypaymore.co.kr/
    It's a travel site. When you search for airfares, there is a problem with displaying the calendars. It also will not complete the search (nothing loads). Is lack of ability to submit material and load another page occurs with a number of Korean sites.

Another example:
    HTML:
    http://www.clubrichtour.co.kr/
    It's another travel site. Here you can see that the front page doesn't load properly. The scrolling text on the top left of the screen is all over the place. The search field below (under?) it simply doesn't work. I find that calendars or other popups of this nature rarely do.

Hope that helps to clarify it a little. I know I'm asking a lot with it being a Korean issue and all, but thanks for taking a look!

5. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

hey mate

in firefox it looks a little bad.

can u please try the nightly build of webkit though (link above). i tried that and it looked better in my opinion

6. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

ok, that second link looks bad no matter what i use. i am still trying new browsers

7. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

ok camino seems to make your last link work mate. can u try camino for the last link

8. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

Shall do, thanks mate. I'll let you know how it goes!

9. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

It certainly LOOKS better with Camino, but still no functionality. The calendar doesn't load (I think this is the problem I had with Firefox too, though it looked a lot worse).

still, I'm impressed with how clean in looks, in comparison. Could help with some other messy sites I've come across!

10. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

i was talking to a mate, and i think ur right. i never realised site were optomised for IE, i thought sites were made for compatibility with all browsers.

there was a version of ie for mac, but it was discontinued in 2003, and i could not find it on the ms website. maybe u could try and find it

11. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

As much as that pains me, I might have to!

The thing is, I think that in order to optimise a site for IE, you have to go out of your way to do it (or use a Microsoft publishing kit or something). I've never seen anything like it, and it is frustrating to say the least!

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

the site is terrible, abuse of marquee. what I would suggest you do, is to context click the search area and choose "show only this frame", this will give you a usable search field. not best solution, but nonetheless usable.

Attached Files:

13. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

14. PrinceAlexander thread starter macrumors member

I'd never even considered context clicking, I might play around with that a bit and see what happens on various sites.

Also, that's the first I've heard of Crossover. Any personal experience with this?

15. fuziwuzi macrumors regular

i found it a little tricky to use. you need to install the app in a bottle... yeah not that intuitive, and it kills the looks of apps. but i never used the supported apps with it, just the unsupported ones.