Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
For the last six months or so (maybe longer, I forget), Safari has developed a big memory leak problem. It's happening on my Mac at home and my Mac at work. Basically, in the mornings, I often find that it has been shut down due to using too much memory. On the mornings that it hasn't, if I open up Activity Monitor, I find that its memory usage has swelled from around 1 gig when I first start it to 100 gig!! No wonder this is happening.

I've done the Parameter Reset that was suggested when Googling, but of course it didn't help. I"m curious if others are experiencing this problem. I tend to keep two Safari windows open, each with 3-6 tabs. A coworker says Chrome does this too on his Windows machine.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Might be related to <which tabs> are left open on those sites. Try leaving tabs open but no sites loaded.

Never had this unless its related to content, the fact that you are having it on two machines points to that also (assuming they are left pointing to the same sites).

Rob.G

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Arizona
That's a good point. The main tabs are gmail (two tabs' worth), Google Keep and Google Sheets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.