Safari on the iPod Touch, whats the speed of yours?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Star Destroyer, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Hey all,

This is basically a thread where i want to get a handle on just how fast safari runs on your Touch.

In an effort to see if i 'had use' for a Touch i purchased a used Palm Lifedrive, and i really do like the functions ( i assumed most of what i like the Touch will evetually have avail.) but what is killing me is that the internet runs SO SLOW... its unbearable to use most of the time....

I am thinking of selling the Lifedrive and put the money to the Touch fund, but i dont wanna experience the same slow internet.

So how fast is safari?
    Are you satisfied with how the internet preforms?
    (sorry i would go to an apple store but i dont wanna drive 4 hours, i thought i would just ask :D )

2. dylangurl21 macrumors regular

I find my touch internet speeds to be more than usable. It is on a wifi network so the status of your network obviously plays a part and what kind of sites you visit, how they are converted, etc. The touch on wifi is obviously much faster than the iPhone on Edge. I know this is is nothing substantive. Maybe I should get out a stopwatch.

3. efedor macrumors regular

I find my Itouch is faster than most Windows based laptops!

4. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I did a speed test at DSL reports.com at it clocks me at 888kb/sec not bad. On the edge network it clocked about 70kb/sec. Edge is unusable for you tube, you spend minutes waiting for the video to load.

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

SpeedTest

So I ran a speed test for you, just for some comparison. I will ping the connection that I have hardwired into my mac, and I am using my mac to share my internet with my iPod which is right next to it:

Code:
    34 packets transmitted, 31 packets received, 8% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 35.756/40.669/46.842/4.060 ms

Okay so pretty consistent here. Also a speed test for you (from speedtest.com), down is about 2.3 Mbps. That being said...

mobile.google.com = about 8.05 s.
    mobile.macrumors.com = about 3.06 s.

In general, you get about 5-10 s. per webpage, no matter how "intense it is", but mobile websites work amazingly...and obviously the kicker is the fact that the browser is simply beautiful

6. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

7. zeroracer0702 macrumors newbie

zeroracer0702

Dude, its called an ipod Touch not an Itouch (sorry, it had to be said). But back to the question. Surfing speeds are really good, sometimes it takes a while but thats because i sometimes walk out of wifi range.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

I can't get any speed test to work with my Touch.

9. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

The speed of Safari depends on your Wi-Fi connection. If you are "borrowing" Wi-Fi then most likely it goes slow. If you are right near the Wireless router or it is in your home, it will go faster

10. supercooled macrumors 6502a

Just bought and played with my 16GB Touch and I have to say it's very slow compared to my Nokia N800. It feels almost like dial up speed. Remember those days?

11. EdwardsNH macrumors member

Um, no it didn't.

Noticably slower on my iTouch than my laptop, but nothing close to dialup.

I use it for most of my surfing.