Safari: open links in a new tab instead of new window

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theprizefight, Dec 18, 2007.

1. theprizefight macrumors member

I have Safari 3 on Leopard. I'm trying to figure out how to get Safari to open links in a new tab by default, instead of a new window. I know one option is to Cmd-click to achieve this but Id rather not have to do this everytime. Is there a way to set it up to do it automatically?

Thanks in advance.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Choose to open _blank links in a new tab after installing SafariStand :)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are using a third party mouse, clicking the scroll wheel does it by default I believe. It works for me and I dont remember changing any setting.

4. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I was having the same issue and tried using SafariStand (followed the read-me that was downloaded with the program) but I cannot figure it out. Is it supposed to be a separate preference in Safari? How do I initiate it? What am I missing? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

See below, make sure the top option is checked and clicking the scroll wheel, or cmd-click will open links in a new tab.

BTW, this is Safari Pref pane.

Attached Files:

6. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Yes I understand that you can use those two methods. I am just looking for some help with SIMBL and SafariStand.

7. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502