Safari OS X Lion vs. Safari iOS video

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Coltaine, May 4, 2012.

1. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

I do not have flash installed on any of my devices.
    Now I have noticed that there are various sites, e.g. the German news site www.spiegel.de, that tell me "plug-in is missing", when I access them from Safari OS X, while the videos are playing without any problem, when I access them from Safari iOS on my iPad.
    How can I change that behaviour and make my iMac Safari access the videos like my iPad does?

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.S. I have the most recent versions of the operating systems and Safari.

----------

Alright, I just found a solution myself:

if I use the "Developers" menu in Safari (can be activated in the advanced settings tab) and change my user agent to Safari iOS 4.3.3. - iPad, the sites will show me the videos like they do on iPad without changing anything else on the page.

But is this the only way?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Flash is not, never has been, and never will be supported by iOS or iOS devices. This is well-known and has been the topic of discussion of many threads on this forum and elsewhere.

Steve Jobs was a vocal critic of Flash and a vocal supporter of HTML5. The widespread adoption of iOS is accelerating the death of Flash and the transition to HTML5. Some of my favorite video sites has abandoned Flash in favor of less suckie formats.