Resolved Safari Popup on launch that I can't get rid of

tkilgour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Every time I launch Safari I get a popup that says:

"Safari 5.1.4 (v7534.54.16) has not been tested with the plugin LastPass 1.68.4 (v1.68.4). As a precaution, it has not been loaded. Please contact the plugin developer for further information."

I used to have LastPass installed as an extension but I have now deleted it... but this still pops up every. single. time. I have looked everywhere in Safari and throughout my computer for any files relating to LastPass. I've also re-installed LastPass and then deleted it again...

Safari runs fine, but it's super annoying to have this dialog all the time. I wish I could delete and re-install Safari but I'm on Lion so it won't let me delete it.

Help!

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I used to have LastPass installed as an extension but I have now deleted it... but this still pops up every. single. time. I have looked everywhere in Safari and throughout my computer for any files relating to LastPass. I've also re-installed LastPass and then deleted it again...

Safari runs fine, but it's super annoying to have this dialog all the time. I wish I could delete and re-install Safari but I'm on Lion so it won't let me delete it.
Have you looked in Safari > Help > Installed Plug-ins?

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

tkilgour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Have you looked in Safari > Help > Installed Plug-ins?

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Yes, I have looked in "Installed Plug-ins" and there is nothing to do with LastPass in there.

I am not able to delete Safari because it is a system application in Lion. When I try to delete it says: "“Safari” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X." Even if there is a way to delete it, I have read elsewhere that it may cause problems.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, I have looked in "Installed Plug-ins" and there is nothing to do with LastPass in there.

I am not able to delete Safari because it is a system application in Lion. When I try to delete it says: "“Safari” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X." Even if there is a way to delete it, I have read elsewhere that it may cause problems.
No, don't use those instructions to delete Safari. Use them to find and delete LastPass.

tkilgour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I've already gone through that. There is no trace of anything related to LastPass.

tkilgour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
It worked! Thank you!

The culprit was a file called "LastPass.bundle" in Library > Application Support > SIMBL > Plugins.