Safari Randomly Logs Out of All Sites

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Sep 10, 2011.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I'm logged into about 10 websites on Safari and I have it so Safari will remember usernames and passwords for each site. But today out of the blue, I found that I had been logged out of every site. Firefox was fine - no problems there, but all Safari sites were logged out. I used Safari 20 minutes before this happened and all was well.

Is this a common occurrence or just a freak thing?

OS X 10.6.8
    MacBook Pro 2.66GHz

2. Roquefort macrumors member

With security-conscious websites like banks, a "Remember Me" checkbox can help you login easily, but may not avoid the automatic time-outs for inactivity. Might that be what happened, i.e., you were idle using those sites in Safari while using them more recently in Firefox?

Otherwise, this could happen if you changed your Accept Cookies setting in Safari Preferences or used Safari -> Private Browsing... or Safari -> Reset Safari....

Or from a random glitch/bug in Safari.

3. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I'm thinking this is what happened.

As for FireFox, I use Safari 99% of the time. I should have mentioned that I checked FireFox on this occasion to see if the same error had occurred.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's a bug in 5.1 and drives me insane. I've reported it to Apple but don't have any further information at this stage, other than that it seems to happen after you use private browsing (regardless of whether you actually visit the sites that you get logged out of).

5. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

I was so upset with 5.1, that I downgraded to 5.0.3... yet the error still occurred.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Same here; I think something from 5.1 hangs around when you revert to 5.0.3 (I couldn't find any way to completely remove 5.1).

7. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Dang, well at least I'm not alone with this.

8. artnotwar macrumors member

I've also notice this happen to me a couple of times.