Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonathan.c

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2013
Canada
O052775.png

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I haven't liked any redisigns or concpts I have seen so far in here but i have to admit, this one IMO looks lot better then the one currently on iOS 7.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see a complete departure as when I look at the current ios7 icon and all redesigns – I think Compass.

I believe an icon has two functions, one to fit with the theme of the OS and the other, to quickly indicate the purpose of the application.

Many designs achieve one, but not both.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012

This is simply just a very small improvement over the original one, no offence. I think the problem with the Safari icon currently is because its a huge circle within a boxy icon with two arrows as though its a compass rather than the iconic safari itself.

This redesigned logo is a small improvement by adding little textures and designs with the world map design, but it would be better if the world map shown is more visible instead of faded away. It still looks a little like the original one.

I still like this Safari icon design as posted by rmwebs: http://dribbble.com/shots/1107955-Flat-Safari-Icon-iOS7

But kudos to the creator for putting in effort!

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This is simply just a very small improvement over the original one, no offence. I think the problem with the Safari icon currently is because its a huge circle within a boxy icon with two arrows as though its a compass rather than the iconic safari itself.

What exactly is the red & white arrow in the Safari icon meant to be? It's a serious question.

----------

That's a nice looking icon. Is there a way you could submit it to Apple as a recommendation?

I don't think that's the way things work with Apple.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
What exactly is the red & white arrow in the Safari icon meant to be? It's a serious question.

To be honest, I'm not an iOS developer, nor am I a graphical designer, but the red and white arrows of the Safari icon has been there ever since safari arrived on the mac and the same iconic design is brought over to the iPhone. So I don't really know.

I mean the arrows can stay on the icon. I think the main problem with the safari icon in iOS 7 is that its a blue circle within a white box. Thats my own reasoning why people are unhappy about it. Safari used to be a full blue icon, if you get my drift.
Not only that, if you look at the stock home screen of iOS 7, Safari sticks out like a thorn beside fully neon icons like Music, Mail and Phone.

It's rather hard to explain why the icon is quite an eyesore, but i suppose ^ is the best possible reason I could come up personally.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I mean the arrows can stay on the icon. I think the main problem with the safari icon in iOS 7 is that its a blue circle within a white box. Thats my own reasoning why people are unhappy about it. Safari used to be a full blue icon, if you get my drift.

I agree, however it just doesn't bother me the slightest. If anything, I don't like the music icon! The colour just stands out of the rest so much!

PS: I always thought the arrow on safari icon was mean't to represent the compas on the top of the globe, though it does have white colour on the other half instead of blue.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I agree, however it just doesn't bother me the slightest. If anything, I don't like the music icon! The colour just stands out of the rest so much!

PS: I always thought the arrow on safari icon was mean't to represent the compas on the top of the globe, though it does have white colour on the other half instead of blue.

What I have gathered from all the feedback about icons is that apps that generally employ the same colour scheme received little negative responses, but apps like Safari and Music which employs a different scheme received a number of negative responses on the other hand.
The music icon is red instead of reddish-orange (perhaps majority orange) in iOS 6. The Safari icon is yet another departure from the usual colour scheme and design.

Another icon that I rather dislike is the game center icon. What does 4 overlapping coloured balls have any reference to being a game center besides being a little fun looking? I would prefer a flattened and modern designed version of the iOS 6 game center icon.

Having said everything I knew about iOS 7 icons, I believe iOS 7 still remains a huge and innovative update overall .

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida

The safari icon has always been meant to resemble a compass. The arrow in the middle represents the needle in the middle of the compass.

You need a compass when you go on a safari (which is a journey/expedition).

falconeight

Apr 6, 2010
I don't think anyone really understands the grid system that apple introduced. Beta one is very basic and if the clock icon means anything then everyone is far behind apple. When finished the icons on ios 7 will be amazing. Change isn't your enemy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.