Safari stops working for a few minutes, then comes back, a lot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mark88, Jul 28, 2007.

1. mark88 macrumors 6502a

I've had this happen to me ever since Tiger, on all my Macs....

Basically while using Safari sometimes it will just stop working. By this I mean no web page can be accessed, entering a URL will just produce the loading spinner as if the internet connection has gone down. After a couple minutes wait, it will come back.

I've never been able to diagnose the problem. It's not internet related because local IPs aren't accessable through Safari while this is happening (ie, 192.168.1.4:9000/index.html). At the same time other browsers and email works fine.

It's happening on my intel and PPC macs, latest Tiger, Safari 2. Do you get this too? beginning to drive me mad.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I've been using Safari regularly for the past few years now (on an iBook and a MBP) and haven't experienced this. The only time it stops working is when I've noticed on my router that the internet was not being accessed.

4. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I get it all the time. Both on my iMac G5 and now my C2D BlackBook.

Usually happens when I'm viewing image/flash/animation-intensive websites, multiple ones. Safari always seems to have trouble with them. Slow, choppy, beachballs, fans spin up like crazy, often must force-quit.

One of the biggest problems I have with Mac OS X + Safari. Even my ancient Dell Inspiron P4 1.4 GHz could handle multiple IE windows with heavy animation with aplomb. The fan's might have come on, but everything was always fast and responsive.

Why is Safari so slow and CPU-intensive? :(