Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Does anybody have an idea why fonts(my guess Latin 1) on certain web pages come in all messed up? It sort looks like it's translating the copy into some sot of Cyrillic or Greek. Strange?

I'm using 10.2.8 and Safari 1.0.1 AND no I can't upgrade to 10.3 because it's the company's computer. They would have to do that and trust me, as much as I'd like to, they are cheap bastards.

Here's a site that I get this with....

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/02/09/imovieplugin/

Here's a screen shot.

Attachments

• safariprob_2.jpg
    safariprob_2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 59

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
It looks like the text is displaying in a symbol (probably math symbol) font for some reason. It's possible you have a symbol font that's accidentally misnamed as a font that the site is specifying (looks like Times is the first choice on MacCentral), in which case your browser thinks that's what you want and tries to display the text in it. It's also possible that you've got a font corruption issue causing the same thing to happen--Safari thinks it's using Times, but it's actually using something else.

Try this: Go through your fonts and find the one that looks like that. See if it has a suspicious name, or if moving it out of the Fonts folder helps. Maybe replace it with a clean version.

Could also be you've got something weird specified in the fonts section of Safari's Appearance preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.